"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 08-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdown
Mine indeed looked like the ones keltin had a link to (surrounded by the skin, I guess it was a whole shoulder yes... those were the only large kind I was able to find... I really would like to find them with no skin on them also like your other link.. I don't know why they don't sell them prepped in that way here in Canada; it's like pulled pork hasn't caught on here or something.. It's madness I tell ya!
I work at a restaurant that serves pulled pork. We don't buy it already made since there are no stores around that sell it. We simply cut the pork into thinner slices, make some brime and toss it in the smoker. Once that's done, we take 2 forks, 1 in each hand and pull each and every piece. We put it into a large insert and store it in the fridge until needed. When it is in the insert, it rests with some BBQ sauce. We take it out at around 205F. It's smoking in there before I come so I'm not sure how long it is smoked for. I can try and find out for you.

I'm also looking to find where pulled pork is sold but have had no luck.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdown
I really would like to find them with no skin on them also like your other link.. I don't know why they don't sell them prepped in that way here in Canada; it's like pulled pork hasn't caught on here or something.. It's madness I tell ya!
I donít know why you canít find a Boston Butt in Canada? Do you have a Super Wal-Mart there? Wal-Mart sells them here, so they should sell them in Canada as well?

The Boston Butt is part of the pig (obviously), so they must be doing something with that piece of meat? Sometimes that cut is called a Boston Blade Roast, or just Pork Blade Roast. Can you find that?

Since it is part of the shoulder, perhaps they are leaving it attached and selling it as a whole shoulder?

Old 08-09-2007, 06:02 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

It's not at all unusual that certain cuts of meat are not sold all over the country. You cannot get a tri-tip roast in New England but it's the biggest seller in California for grilling!

If BBQ is not big in Toronto, the assumption is that there is no market for the cuts of meat that are used for BBQ.

Keep asking for what you want and eventually the store may start carrying it.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:17 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
It's not at all unusual that certain cuts of meat are not sold all over the country. You cannot get a tri-tip roast in New England but it's the biggest seller in California for grilling!

If BBQ is not big in Toronto, the assumption is that there is no market for the cuts of meat that are used for BBQ.

Keep asking for what you want and eventually the store may start carrying it.
Good point, I canít get a tri tip here unless I go to a butcher and ask for it....and that depends on what he has on hand at the time! Heck, even a London Broil is something of a rarity here!

So, I wonder what they do with the cuts that arenít popular.......export them?
Old 08-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
Heck, even a London Broil is something of a rarity here!
Yes, keltin, I have a difficult time finding London broil/flank steak here. When I do find it, it's quite expensive.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:33 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Yes, keltin, I have a difficult time finding London broil/flank steak here. When I do find it, it's quite expensive.
Katie, around here, London broil is shoulder steak not flank steak. One of the little twists that makes knowing meats a bit harder.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:34 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Interesting, Andy. It's labeled London broil/flank steak in the grocery stores here.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:35 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Yeah, I think most places flank steak is considered London broil. Maybe just in NE...
Old 08-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #19
Everymom

Hey duckdown, welcome aboard. And look for the pork blade as someone mentioned. I actually think things are labelled differently in different parts of the world. I never heard of London Broil or skirt steak before hanging out here.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:23 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Thanks alot for the advice and friendly welcome, all!

You guys were right about temperature... I was SO close to pulling it off the heat when it was staying at a certain temperature... I was REALLY getting nervous when the temperature reading actually went LOWER for a point... But sure enough, it finally started raising up to temperature and I brought it inside to feast

I used the rub that an admin from here had posted in the other "Pork Shoulder" thread, but to be honest it was way way too spicy for me... I'm not sure if it was from the cayanne in the rub, or the fact that I used smoked paprika in place of regular paprika... Either way, I think I'm more of a fan of the sweet flavorings rather than the HOT kind.. For example, the last time I smoked ribs I used another random rub recipe from the internet, and I really thought chili powder flavoring ruined it.. My whole family agreed I should just leave it out completely next time... Guess thats just me though!

They definitely do not sell anything called just "boston butt" around here, I was looking for one like crazy after I had bought the completely wrong cut of meat the first time... There ARE many different kinds of random "pork roasts" I see around though.. Not sure how I will go about identifying which of these labelled "pork roasts" are indeed a butt..

Once again thanks though! I plan on doing another one next weekend for a bunch of relatives coming down, does anyone else have any favorite recipes for a dry rub & mop?

Thanks alot!! Cheers