Hi all, new here, can someone post pictures of their shoulders/butts BEFORE cooked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go to your Butcher. I have a local butcher, mind you they compete in BBQ contests, that I get my Pork Shoulders from. I am in Brantford, Ontario.

Occasionally you see a Picnic Shoulder in the Grocery store, but your best bet is to hit up a butcher.

As a matter of fact I just bought a shoulder yesterday, seasoned it up last night, throwing it on the smoke later today(using applewood), to be served tomorrow. It is about 17lbs.

Last edited:
I guess there is only so much you can show in one diagram.

Bacon is pork belly and is the outer layer of meat on the spare ribs. The hocks are at the end of the leg cuts just above the hooves.

I guess there is only so much you can show in one diagram.

Bacon is pork belly and is the outer layer of meat on the spare ribs. The hocks are at the end of the leg cuts just above the hooves.
Some people even eat the hooves (pigs feet). Now that I haven't tried. haha

Like you, said 'you can almost eat everything from a pig. I love pork rinds. I could buy them freshly cooked in Australia. Man, pork rinds the size of a dinner plate. Mmmmm:rolleyes:

I saw the title and just had to click on the thread and check it out!:LOL:

I asked DW if I could post a picture of my butt before I cooked it, and she replied, "Post a picture of your butt and it will be cooked!"

I'd post a picture of my shoulder, but, it's really hairy. So, suzie, rest assured, my shoulders (and the rest of my hairiness) will remain offline.

I did hit the link about where different cuts of pork come from. I really liked the quote that "you can eat every part of a pig, except the squeal". I've heard to squeal was put into air raid sirens, way-back-when.

BTW, who was the "robber baron" business tychoon that had the "pig dissassembly" line at the start of the 20th Century? That's where the "squeal" bit came from.

Ok, so I'm one of the guys who regularly kidnaps a topic. So this time, I'll do the opposite and bring one back.

You don't absolutley have to use a boston Butt for pulled pork. Look for any pork roast that has a good deal of connecting tissue and fat in it, with minimum bones. The fat floats on top and can be removed if you so desire. The connecting tissue renders out collagen, a cousin to protien that is healthy and ahs a slippery viscosity that adds rich texture as well as nutritional value to the final dish. Usually, no sauces are added to the pulled pork while it's cooking. Rather, make a variety of sauces, such as honey-mustard, tomato based barbecue sauce, pineapple sweet & sour suace, etc, put them in seperate bowls, and let each person use the sauce they want on the pulled pork sandwich.

The roast should be either cooked low & slow using the indirect heat method on your BBQ, or in a slow cooker or in a covered roasting pan in a slow oven. Seasonings usually amount to a bit of garlic, a diced onion, and salt 'n pepper to taste.

If you can get country-styled pork ribs in your area, with plenty of meat, fat, and connecting tissue, they work very well for pulled pork. You can also use any resultant broth for soups, though I mix a major part of it back into the pork, once it's pulled. You can also use pork steaks. Both of these, of course, are conditional on price. both cuts sell cheap where I live.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

The safer of the two...

Hopefully this is not too hairy to qualify!

Attachments

• Misc 041.jpg
    Misc 041.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 183
You kill me Buddy! That's the best. And Barb L is right, you're really cute!

Allright! Now you've done it.:mad: Maverick is going to be hopping around his living room like Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer crying "I'm cute! I'm cute!" Then he's going to lift from the floor and levitate toward the ceiling, bumping his head which will cause a concussion. He'll be in the hospitol for a couple of days and his DW will be sneaking in with his favorite foods, which of course won't be allowed. She'll get caught, and they'll be patting her down every time she goes to visit him.

She'll get indignant and poke a rough-handed male nurse in the nose, which will send that poor guy to the emergency room to get the bleeding stopped. The emergency nurse will laugh at his predicament which will just make him more angry. **** rush out to his car and race through the nightime streets to release some of his anger and get a speeding ticket. Then he'll be even hotter, drive carefully home while quietly seething. His wife will greet him with her usual "Hi Honey. How was your day?" to which he'll reply "If you must know, it was *$#@* lousy. I'm going to bed. This will put her in tears and she will call her mother, who will say "I told you not to marry that bum. All he does is make you cry. You come on over here and sleep in your old bedroom tonight. I have it all made up and ready for you." The wife will take her mother up on the offer. Soon, she will be talked into divorcing her husband because he's such a jerk, and all because you had to go and tell Maverick that he's cute.

See how dangerous women are?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That's it. I win. I am now the longest winded person who can fill up a server full of memory with absolutely nothing of importance.

I AM THE CHAMPION!

Allright! Now you've done it.:mad: Maverick is going to be hopping around his living room like Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer crying "I'm cute! I'm cute!" Then he's going to lift from the floor and levitate toward the ceiling, bumping his head which will cause a concussion. He'll be in the hospitol for a couple of days and his DW will be sneaking in with his favorite foods, which of course won't be allowed. She'll get caught, and they'll be patting her down every time she goes to visit him.

She'll get indignant and poke a rough-handed male nurse in the nose, which will send that poor guy to the emergency room to get the bleeding stopped. The emergency nurse will laugh at his predicament which will just make him more angry. **** rush out to his car and race through the nightime streets to release some of his anger and get a speeding ticket. Then he'll be even hotter, drive carefully home while quietly seething. His wife will greet him with her usual "Hi Honey. How was your day?" to which he'll reply "If you must know, it was *$#@* lousy. I'm going to bed. This will put her in tears and she will call her mother, who will say "I told you not to marry that bum. All he does is make you cry. You come on over here and sleep in your old bedroom tonight. I have it all made up and ready for you." The wife will take her mother up on the offer. Soon, she will be talked into divorcing her husband because he's such a jerk, and all because you had to go and tell Maverick that he's cute.

See how dangerous women are?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That's it. I win. I am now the longest winded person who can fill up a server full of memory with absolutely nothing of importance.

I AM THE CHAMPION!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Wait, does that mean you don't want to hear how cute we think you are???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom