"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 04-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #51
Executive Chef

" They definitely do not sell anything called just "boston butt" around here, "

I've never seen them either. I buy the shoulders.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:39 PM   #52
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Speaking of hot air, I'm beginning to think there's a lot of it being generated by this thread.....

Maverick, I hate to tell you this, but, man........you're just ..........

BALD!

You call that a hairy shoulder! Blasphemy!

I, on the other hand, am a freaking hairy ape. Literally. My "fur" is starting to go grey, so I've been calling myself a "silverback gorilla" the past few years.

Uh oh. Looks like I'm generating some hot air myself.

Back to topic:

"Pork Steaks" actually are pork butt, sliced on a bandsaw while frozen into 1/2" thick steaks. My other half, PeppA, and her mother live on those, because yes, they are incredibly cheap. They're also really fatty. That's great for slow cooking (like using a pork butt to smoke), but grilling or pan-frying, like my MIL does, well, let's just say I usually eat at work that night.

The past couple of times I've smoked pork, it's been the picnic shoulder, which I remove the skin from. I've found they're even cheaper / pound than pork butt is.

I am definitely no gorilla! I have very fine hair all over my body, most of it blonde except my chest, front, and legs.
DW says I have just the right amount of fur.. not sure if that is a compliment or not!

Old 04-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #53
Executive Chef

Count it as a blessing. My wife will "hold me hostage", literally, by grabbing a handful of "fur", and squeezing her finger into a fist to pull on them.

Editted to add: Fisher's Mom, I might just post a pic of my hairy shoulder, but, it might get this thread locked. We've already hijacked the OP's topic as it is.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #54
Certified Pretend Chef

While this body hair duscussion has been fascinating,

I recommend you get back on topic. If you must continue this, take it to PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #55
Master Chef

Poor Andy, LOL.

Back on topic: saw a pork shoulder at the store, thought of this thread, and decided to pick it up. Just a small one, about 5lbs. Put it in the crockpot this morning along with carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, garlic, worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, Louisiana red pepper sauce, 6 cups water, and salt and pepper to taste this morning.
Came home, took the pork shoulder out and it fell right off the bone. Chopped it up and added it back in. Took out some of the liquid, thickened it with some corn starch and added it back in.
Turned out great and extremely tender! Not to mention there is enough for supper tonight as well as lunch tomorrow.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
While this body hair duscussion has been fascinating,

I recommend you get back on topic. If you must continue this, take it to PM.
Or take it to chat!
Old 04-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Poor Andy, LOL.

Back on topic: saw a pork shoulder at the store, thought of this thread, and decided to pick it up. Just a small one, about 5lbs. Put it in the crockpot this morning along with carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, garlic, worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, Louisiana red pepper sauce, 6 cups water, and salt and pepper to taste this morning.
Came home, took the pork shoulder out and it fell right off the bone. Chopped it up and added it back in. Took out some of the liquid, thickened it with some corn starch and added it back in.
Turned out great and extremely tender! Not to mention there is enough for supper tonight as well as lunch tomorrow.
And here I still am waiting for us to get back to smoking or barbecuing
these pork shoulders. ro lol A crock pot. Maverick, you is bad. rofl
Old 04-21-2008, 12:04 PM   #58
Executive Chef

For folks that are not blessed with a smoker, or the desire to tend a fire for HOURS to produce a bit of heavenly smoked pork, a crockpot is the next best solution.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #59
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
For folks that are not blessed with a smoker, or the desire to tend a fire for HOURS to produce a bit of heavenly smoked pork, a crockpot is the next best solution.
Pressure cookers are nice, too. The first thing I made in mine was a 5 lb pork roast. Took 24 minutes to cook and pulled apart with a fork. Gave it a nice dry-rub the night before and browned it right in the cooker. Not as fantastic as slow cooking it over smoke, but the extended family is already making requests for a repeat-pressure-cooker performance!
Old 04-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loprraine View Post
" They definitely do not sell anything called just "boston butt" around here, "

I've never seen them either. I buy the shoulders.
The Boston Butt is the rear of the shoulder - so it comes from the shoulder. Where you live they might just label any part of the shoulder as "shoulder". They are sometimes called picnic hams too - it's all the same location though - the shoulder.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote