Homemade Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice job. To my understanding Tenderquick is for curing, so why may I ask are you putting it in sausages that you are going to freeze, or just cook right away? What exactly is it adding to the sausage in the way you are using it?

I have never used it and this caught my attention.

Nice job. To my understanding Tenderquick is for curing, so why may I ask are you putting it in sausages that you are going to freeze, or just cook right away? What exactly is it adding to the sausage in the way you are using it?

I have never used it and this caught my attention.

I was wondering the same thing. I think it has something to do with the colour of the meat.

I was told on another forum to use a cure and it would help with the color as well as the texture of the meat. The first sausage I did a week before when smoked on the grill turned gray and this batch turned red... or rather stayed red :). I did like this batch better than the week before, but I'm still very new to sausage so I can't say for sure if it was the TQ that made it that way or not.

I'll make some more in the near future, but I have made 5 pounds this last weekend and 5 pounds the weekend before, I think I'll take a break from it for a bit and make something different... maybe pablano burgers.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom