How to season these steaks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gs88

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone

I have some strip loin steaks and I plan to cook them on my george foreman grill.

Last time I used one of those club house rubs and then threw the steaks on the grill quickly and they were okay but a lot of the rub came off.

I was thinking of doing the method of marinating the steaks using olive oil/soy sauce/worcester sauce... If I do this, can I still use the rub after and more dry seasoning or will that be overkill in terms of marinate/seasoning?

Those are really good steaks. I'd just apply salt and pepper to both sides and grill them on the hottest setting.

I agree with Andy. Salt and pepper and the highest heat possible on that thing.

Or, even better, sear in a cast iron skillet and finish in a hot oven.

When using rubs, you should put lots on because much of it does fall off. Especially if you like flipping your steak frequently.

Dry brine them. apply salt generously and wrap in plastic wrap. Park in the fridge overnight. They will be the juiciest tastiest steaks you ever had.

The thing is, I want it to taste like a restaurant steak. I'm from Toronto so if you have ever been to a nice steakhouse here, something like that.

I need really specific instructions as I dont cook steak often such as how long should I leave the steak out of the fridge before grilling and so on.

So there is no need to do the marinating process I was saying? I have some other rub that says to leave it on for 30min, I might try using that as well as some dry seasoning.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so far. :)

I forgot to mention, i'd like to cook the steaks medium rare. I don't have a thermometer or anything, is there any other way to tell? I don't want to undercook, i'd rather overcook slightly, but if I can get it perfectly medium rare somehow in my George foreman grill that would be great.

There are no speed settings for it.

The thing is, I want it to taste like a restaurant steak. I'm from Toronto so if you have ever been to a nice steakhouse here, something like that.

I need really specific instructions as I dont cook steak often such as how long should I leave the steak out of the fridge before grilling and so on.

So there is no need to do the marinating process I was saying? I have some other rub that says to leave it on for 30min, I might try using that as well as some dry seasoning.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so far. :)

Good steakhouses dont marinade or gunk up the meat with a rub. Especially a nice cut of meat.

They salt their meat and cook it at high heat. Sometimes they add a compound butter at the end.

Sorry to say but you will never get anything to taste like a steakhouse using a George Foreman "grill." It mostly steams whatever its cooking.

Try GB's method or plain salt and pepper with a hot skillet if you want more of a restaurant style steak.

Yeah unfortunately its beginning to snow here so the outdoor BBQ isn't an option. :(

I haven't tried the salt and pepper method. I might give it a shot.

Dry brine them. apply salt generously and wrap in plastic wrap. Park in the fridge overnight. They will be the juiciest tastiest steaks you ever had.

How exactly do you dry brine a steak?

Okay nevermind I guess the salt method is dry brining lol.

Is just salt really good enough? I'm going to make the steaks tomorrow so tonight i'm either going to dry brine them like you said or leave them overnight in the fridge marinating in worcester sauce.

Last edited:
How exactly do you dry brine a steak?

Okay nevermind I guess the salt method is dry brining lol.

Is just salt really good enough? I'm going to make the steaks tomorrow so tonight i'm either going to dry brine them like you said or leave them overnight in the fridge marinating in worcester sauce.

If you are really stuck on marinating, I'd suggest looking up a recipe or two. Marinading in straight worcestershire sauce overnight will likely ruin some good steaks. Maybe a teriyaki marinade?

But again, most good steakhouses want their steak and their cooking to speak for themselves, so they don't usually agressively season their meat.

Salt and pepper is really all you need, you could do onion powder and garlic powder as well. Depending on how thick your steaks are, say an inch+ thick, take them out of fridge 15 - 20 mins before cooking, just to take the chill off a bit. IMO the Forman really has no use in the kitchen except for paninis or other grilled cheese application. It will just press the juice right out of the meat {ANY kind of meat} leaving you a product you may not enjoy. You can use any pan really as long as it is a heavier weight one {cast iron, enamel coated cast or copper ARE the best agreed, but not fundamental}.

Method : On high Heat. Cook the meat on first side for about 4-6 flip and cook the same on the other. Then press on the center, if it is "soft" like a semi-wet sponge it is rare. Cook another 2 mins flip and 2 on the other side. Press and check again. It will feel firmer and should be MR/M. The KEY to having that steak tender and juicy? Remove from the pan to a plate, cover with foil and LET IT REST for 5 minutes or so. Then dig in and ENJOY!!!!

I hope this helped, and remember to play with your food:chef:

Last edited:
Okay i'm going to leave the steaks overnight. Approximately how much salt should I use? I will probably use a little dry steak seasoning as well.

I will leave them overnight in the fridge and cook them tomorrow after a nice workout. Should I cook them right after I take them out of the fridge or leave them for a little while?

Do read above post. I think I hit all your points. IF you use a pre-mixed, store bought spice blend, simply taste it before you use it. Those blends tend to be VERY salty to begin with and therefor no "extra"salt is needed. Salt in general is a very personal preference seasoning, hence "season to taste"

Have Fun!

Edited to add: When I say press on the center of the meat, just use your finger. NOT the whole spatula.

Last edited:
when calories don't count, i like to finsh simply seasoned steak (just s&p as gb mentioned) with a hunk of butter to melt on top. i really like to make thyme butter for steak, or garlic chive butter.

if you've ever had a "sizzling steak" in a restaurant, it was a steak on a really hot plate with butter.

^ lol! ... I'll let everyone know how my steak goes! There will be many many many more cooked in the future. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom