"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 07-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
Master Chef

Hybrid Smoking Technique

I made pulled pork for Sunday dinner with my sister and nephew but didn't have time to smoke the pork butt for hours. So here's my very own method for making a perfectly smoked pulled pork, with limited bbq time.

Oh, and the pulled pork received rave reviews. Everybody thought I had smoked this batch all day.

This is a two day process that frees most of both days for other things.

Ingredients:
5 lb. pork Boston Butt
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbs. cooking oil
Kosher salt

Heat up a dry cast iron pan until it's very hot. Lightly sprinkle all sides of the Boston Butt with kosher salt. Add the oil to the pan and place the roast in it. Sear on all sides until browned all over. Turn off the heat and place the roast into a slow cooker, along with the aromatics, on low setting. Cover and cook overnight.

When ready to smoke, fire up the bbq with a divided bed of coals configuration for indirect heat. When the bbq is hot, add apple, maple, walnut, or your favorite smoking wood to one bed of coals. Place the grill-grate back onto the bbq. Put the cover on with all vents fully open.

Remove the roast from the slow cooker, researving the liquid in the cooker on warm setting. Put the lid back on. Pull the pork into shreds and place into a cast iron frying pan. Put the pan on the center of the grill and cover. Smoke the meat for 30 minutes and stir well. Cover and smoke for 30 minutes more. Again stir well. Cover the pan and remove from heat. Put th emeat back into the slow cooker and stir. Cover and serve, or transport to your get-together.

This technique works because by shredding the meat, you have exposed most of it to the smoke, which deposits itself onto the meat. When you stir it all up, you move untouched meat to the surface, where it gets its turn in the smoke. The smoke doesn't require the usual osmosis process to penetrate the meat. And the whole of the meat develops that beautiful redish-brown hue, like a smoke ring, but all over.

Hope you like this. We did.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Goodweed,
This is interesting, because I was just thinking about something like this myself. Almost identical in fact. The biggest difference I could see was that I hadn't planned on pre-shredding before introducing to heat. But, I can see where that would help.

I may just have to steal my Cast Iron out of the camper to give this a try.

Thanks for sharing...

Old 07-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Head Chef

Sounds great, GW!

The only thing I would do differently is to use disposable aluminum half pans instead of my cast iron pan.

Lee
Old 07-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

You are always thinking GW. Great idea!
Old 07-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
Master Chef

I like this idea cause I have everything I need to actually be able to try it! LOL.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

hmmm, I don't know why this didn't show up earlier today under new posts....

At any rate, this sounds really good. One thing I don't understand, why do you cover the meat in the skillet when you are smoking it? Or am I reading that wrong? I'm assuming we all know to put the lid down on the grill to retain the smoke. Do you also put a cover on the skillet?

"Put the pan on the center of the grill and cover. Smoke the meat for 30 minutes and stir well. Cover and smoke for 30 minutes more. Again stir well. Cover the pan and remove from heat."

Thanks
Old 07-07-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
Master Chef

I read it as put it on the grill and close the lid. Open the grill, stir, close it again. When you take it off the grill, cover it. I figured this was to keep it warm once you had removed it from the grill?
I could be wrong though but if it was covered inside the grill wouldn't that stop the smoke from getting into the meat?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:46 AM   #8
Master Chef

Sorry to be unclear. Yes, the pan is open and the grill is covered. And by covering when it's removed from the grill, that means after puting the meat back into the reserved broth, in the slow cooker, cover it for transporting to both keep it hot, and to retain all that juicy goodness. Hope that clears things up.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:05 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for clearing the smoke out of my brain
Old 07-08-2008, 01:51 PM   #10
Senior Cook

This sounds all interesting. We are going camping in two weeks' time and I would like to be able to serve my guests this one day before we all go to Oshkosh (Wisconsin). Good idea. Thank GW...!!! I will copy the recipe and give it a go/test before the event. Leftovers can be sandwiches on the way to destination, too.

--Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Cooper'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote