I give to you... Fish Fatty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, phooey, pacanis! I had my fingers crossed for you. I was hoping to see a nice sliced loaf when I signed on this morning.

Basically, it was just too moist to hold shape?

Believe me, Timothy, I was looking forward to taking that picture! :LOL:

They did not seem any more moist than making a sausage fatty, so I don't know if the fish and/or the shrimp leached moisture or not, but they were anything but dry when finished. I even patted dry the shrimp.

Thanks Big Al.
I haven't stuck a fork in it yet... although, really that is the best way to eat this. ;)
:LOL:

Believe me, Timothy, I was looking forward to taking that picture! :LOL:

They did not seem any more moist than making a sausage fatty, so I don't know if the fish and/or the shrimp leached moisture or not, but they were anything but dry when finished. I even patted dry the shrimp.

Here's a video where a fish loaf is made. This lady uses parchment paper to wrap the loaf in, and bread crumbs and egg as a binder. I think the parchment paper holding it in shape until it firmed up in the oven may be a big help, or using an oiled loaf pan perhaps.

You also might try dicing the shrimp and pressing the water from the dice. That might get rid of some more moisture.

Fish Loaf (Sliced for sandwiches)

Last edited:
You will need a binder for the fish to hold it's shape, and even then, there should be support Salmon just doesn't have the collagen or connecting tissue found in red meats to bind the ingredients together. Adding eggs would help. If you had a fat net, that would help as well. Also, if you use thick aluminum foil to wrap the fattie in, it might create enough of a structure to hole the fatty until it is cooked enough to hold its shape.

Good luck.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Fred, how about using thin slices of salmon or other fish filet laid out in an overlapping pattern then filled with your other ingredients and rolled.

Good suggestions.
The parchment paper is nice. That might still allow the smoke to get through.
And maybe more eggs and bread crumbs. She used half a cup for 1 lb, I used half a cup for 28 oz of salmon plus the shrimp... and just 2 eggs. Maybe increasing the eggs and cutting out the mayo will help bind it more, along with more crumbs.
And I think strips of something would help. Something to help define the layers, because none of the layers were defined after cooking. It lost any spiral effect rolling it had. Maybe some paper thin salmon inside as a layer.

Good suggestions.
The parchment paper is nice. That might still allow the smoke to get through.
And maybe more eggs and bread crumbs. She used half a cup for 1 lb, I used half a cup for 28 oz of salmon plus the shrimp... and just 2 eggs. Maybe increasing the eggs and cutting out the mayo will help bind it more, along with more crumbs.
And I think strips of something would help. Something to help define the layers, because none of the layers were defined after cooking. It lost any spiral effect rolling it had. Maybe some paper thin salmon inside as a layer.

Just mail it...I don't care if the layers are defined or not...:pig:

Just mail it...I don't care if the layers are defined or not...:pig:

Tell ya what I'll do :ermm:
I'll smoke it in one of those round mailer tubes. That way it will not only hold it's shape, it will be ready for mailing when done ;)

Tell ya what I'll do :ermm:
I'll smoke it in one of those round mailer tubes. That way it will not only hold it's shape, it will be ready for mailing when done ;)

That would be perfect!!! Just reading about it is making me crazy! I love Salmon.

Something I just learned from Chicken of the Sea's site:
Their salmon is cooked/sterilized in the can. I did not realize that the salmon was not raw, since it was basically chunks of fish, skin and bone.
BBQing for six hours until it reached 140 was totally unnecessary. Although it was starting to lose shape around 104F, when I checked on it.

Just an idea probably not a very good one BUT how about adding some dried shrimp to the mix (like the tiny ones used in some shrimp rolls). Would they help absorb some of the moisture?

I never knew something such as that existed, MSM. Something that reconstitutes could certainly help.

nice start ... seems like you might need some fat ... which is what i think helps the sausage fatties hold their shape .. also .. since you really dont need any muscles or tissue to break down then maybe go way higher on the temps ..

nice start ... seems like you might need some fat ... which is what i think helps the sausage fatties hold their shape .. also .. since you really dont need any muscles or tissue to break down then maybe go way higher on the temps ..

Thanks for your input.
Yeah, I think I got totally misconstrued on my temps, thinking that I was working with raw salmon, so going with temps recommended for smoking salmon. Normal smoking temps might have given it a crust before it started to flatten out.
There's always next time. It was tasty stuff to find other uses for.

Back
Top Bottom