I give to you... Fish Fatty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Or if the timing was different, Lenten Fatty. Or Lenten Log :LOL:

I've had this idea rolling around in my brain for a while and am finally tackling it today. A fatty made using fish, in this case canned salmon, rather than the usual sausage chub. And stuffed with tiny shrimp and mozzarella.
The salmon was drained and mixed using egg, garlic powder, smoked paprika, ground pepper, green onions, parsley, mayo, lemon juice and bread crumbs, as if I was making a salmon patty. One fatty has a "white" taco sauce and one has cocktail sauce.
They are in the fridge while they set up some and I drink a beer ;)
The WSM will get fired up shortly. My target temp is 160F for the smoker (pretty cold) and 140 for the fatties... so we'll see what happens. I will use apple wood.

Here's some pics so far.

Attachments

• 1 salmon mixture.jpg
    1 salmon mixture.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 281
  • 2 sauce cheese and shrimp.jpg
    2 sauce cheese and shrimp.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 236
  • 3 rolled.jpg
    3 rolled.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 260
  • 4 plastic wrap.jpg
    4 plastic wrap.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 280
  • 5 second one.jpg
    5 second one.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 290
Sounds and looks like a good idea. Are you wrapping them in bacon?

Thanks. I'm looking forward to trying them out.
I'm keeping them meat free, just for the heck of it. I had thought of a bacon weave, but with the colder smoking temps used for fish, I just wasn't sure if bacon would work.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to trying them out.
I'm keeping them meat free, just for the heck of it. I had thought of a bacon weave, but with the colder smoking temps used for fish, I just wasn't sure if bacon would work.

Good point. If this works, a whole new world of possibilities opens up - with or without meat.

so, how'd it go? looks good to start.

btw, i've heard of salmon bacon before. or you could make a weave out of fish skin, which would crisp in the smoker. i mean, i love crispy fish skin.

just a thought.

btw, i've heard of salmon bacon before. or you could make a weave out of fish skin, which would crisp in the smoker. i mean, i love crispy fish skin.

just a thought.
Tom mate what a spiffing idea, we used to have a deli in L/pool that hand sliced smoked salmon, my mum would buy the skins and wrap and poach white fish fillets in them then poach the wrapped fillet in milk, the poaching liquid was then used to make a smoky parsley sauce.Served with mash it was fantastic.I bet the skin would work like a dream on Pacs dish.

if we got together, we'd eat like the kings we despise... lol.

but really, fried salmon skin is akin to fried pork rinds, but on a fishy note. they're fantastic. great as a filler for temaki.

so, where's ridgeback daddy himself on the fish rolatini?

Last edited:
it's only showbiz.

Dang another prospective tinternet romance bites the dust!!!!!!!!!
Ps did you visit the BBC archers forum I posted the link for, after a week of intense postings about the catastrophe surrounding News International someone started the thread " How do I stop my knickers riding up" when I last looked it had 120 replies.

Salmon bacon, that's what it needed.

Everything started out so well... but my fish fatty turned into a fish patty. They both totally lost their shape. And I don't mean falling apart at the seams, they deflated as if they had been filled with air and the probe thermometer let it all out. I was hoping that the one the cheese did not ooze out of was sliceable anyway, but trying to slice it was like trying to slice mashed potatoes. I am not sure what happened. The texture was very much like a typical fatty when they went on the smoker, but it was apparent that the flaked salmon lost its structural integrity the more that it cooked. Perhaps it needed a quick sear in oil. Maybe adding a crust to the outside would have helped, but I'm thinking not.

That said, the taste was amazing. I ended up using it as a spread on some Ritz crackers, as I had already eaten dinner by the time they were cooked. That took a lot longer than I thought it would. Both fatties had a very pleasant smokiness coupled with the fish and shrimp mixture. I am looking forward to trying it cold on a sandwich later today. And also seeing how well it warms back up.

The fatty idea needs tweaked, but as a smoked fish spread it's a winner.
Perhaps they needed more bread crumbs?
At any rate, next time I play with this I will make a large meatball as a trial. Maybe just cook it on the grill. If I can get a meatball to cook without settling like a Toll House cookie, I might be onto something.

Sorry you didn't get a better result. Thinking about it after the fact, fish gets firm and flakes when cooked. That may be the fatal flaw in making a fish fatty - no structural integrity.

Yeah, I might as well have spooned the mixture into muffin tins and made fish cakes, lol.
I have not given up yet. It just needs rethunk ;^)

Yeah, I might as well have spooned the mixture into muffin tins and made fish cakes, lol.
I have not given up yet. It just needs rethunk ;^)

Well, phooey, pacanis! I had my fingers crossed for you. I was hoping to see a nice sliced loaf when I signed on this morning.

Basically, it was just too moist to hold shape?

Perhaps next time you could put it in a loaf pan, with a bacon lattice on top.

It sounds like it was tasty enough to repeat.

Maybe making a bacon lattice would work, but what a mess if it didn't.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom