"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 05-13-2011, 05:10 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Reviving kind of an old thread here, but I've altered my recipe a bit since I posted it up.

Nowadays, prior to putting the rub on the brisket, I inject the meat at various points with either something called Fat B Lite (FAB Meat Enhancing Injections for beef, brisket, chicken and pork.) if I have it, or beef broth if I don't, at a rate of 1/8c per pound. This was something I started doing out of necessity since I transitioned from an offset smoker to a bullet style smoker, but the results have been so good that I do it no matter what I'm smoking it on now. I also put a *very* thin layer of mustard on the brisket prior to applying the rub. Since a lot of the spices in the rub are oil soluble, this really helps to achieve that wonderful crust that a great brisket has.

I've also transitioned from Michelob to...gasp...a microbrew. I use Mirror Pond now. The difference is subtle, but positive.

Also, when using a bullet style smoker, I put the brisket on fat side DOWN, just above the water pan. It helps to serve as something of a heat shield. I would also do this if I ever got my hands on something like a Big Green Egg.

On the ingredient side, I've discovered the joy that is the World Spice Market (sucks to be you if you don't live in Seattle), and have moved from "Paprika from the grocery store" to "smoked paprika" from the spice merchant. Again, the difference is subtle, but positive.

For the record, these changes resulted in my brisket winning first place in a KCBS sanctioned tournament not too far back, so um....people seem to like them :)

Old 05-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #32
Senior Cook

Sounds great, Poppin, and congrats on the walk!

Check this out, US BBQ Supply, Go from smoked to smoking I got some of the deep beef and the bark one, the injection stuff. I know the guy who makes it and some of the guys who have tried it and use it and they really like it. Sorry I can't give you my personal opinion yet.

I also found fresh, whole spices at Penzys(sp?) and won't go back to store bought. I was surprised at how fresh makes such a difference.

Do you have any pix of your turn in boxes? Any pix of anything would be nice to droooooool over.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Poppin you are a poppet, brisket is on my list and I like spicy.
Big Al I like the inject-able swine brine
Old 05-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Poppin you are a poppet, brisket is on my list and I like spicy.
Big Al I like the inject-able swine brine
So do you know SmokyOkie(or how ever Tim spells it)?

check out the q-joint.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:15 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
So do you know SmokyOkie(or how ever Tim spells it)?

check out the q-joint.
Sorry Al I just clicked on your link and saw the "swine brine" and thought what an excellent forum name. I do know Okie Dokie perhaps they are related.