I just built an Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadfix

Chef Extraordinaire
I picked up a refurbished 55 gallon drum last week, completely burned it out inside and out, installed two 22.5" grates, fabricated a large charcoal basket at the bottom, fabricated an intake draft door, installed a temperature gauge, used high temp paint, and topped it with an old Weber lid. I'll season it tomorrow and get it really dirty this Saturday...:D

Attachments

• P1060073.jpg
    P1060073.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 796
  • P1060075.jpg
    P1060075.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 795
  • P1060074.jpg
    P1060074.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 3,584
The pics of the "ugly" drum smoker aren't showing up for me...
Just some pics of some fancy schmancy homemade drum smoker ;)

Very nice job. That's the purtiest UDS I've ever seen. I'm curious if you get the ridiculously long cooking times most report. Can't wait for your feedback.

Awesome drum! I'm new to the site and I'm in the process of building a UDS. I like the way you did the air intake. Great idea. I drilled two 1" holes and plan to use 2 3/4" ball valve and 1" nipples. Same as you on the grates and HOPE to find a used weber on craigslist. Looking forward to your first smoke on it!! :clap:

Thanks all....I'll be sure to post photos of the first cook off of this thing this weekend.

Squirrel, I thought about using a ball valve plus the 2 caps but I had some bits of sheet metal laying around so I decided to go with the draft door instead.
I've seen people use something as simple as magnets over the vent holes. They all work well.

Last edited:
Thanks folks!

Can you take some pics of the inside? I'm curious re; how you set up the racks. And, did you make the racks or buy them?
I will snap a couple of pics of the inside set up and post them tomorrow, including a pic of the expanded metal charcoal basket/ash pan assembly. The two racks are old Weber 22" kettle grates I've had laying around.
Used Weber grills can be picked up on Craigslist for cheap and I use them for parts.

How do you add more charcoal if the need be?
You don't. Just fill the basket with enough charcoal for the length of the cook, whether they're 5 hour short smokes or up to 20 hours burn time. You'll also bury several large chunks of smoke wood mixed in with the unlit charcoal. Only several (a dozen) fully lit briquettes are placed on top of the basket of unlit coals to start the long, slow, low temperature burn.
In most cases if you start out with enough charcoal you'll end up with a pile of unburned, left over charcoal at the bottom of the basket the next morning after closing off all the vents and snuffing out the coals.
There's really no reason to put an access door on the side of these vertical smokers. They only create more air leaks.

Last edited:
My WSM leaks now. I can't snuff out the charcoal anymore when I'm through.
That pastrami I did last week, the charcoal stayed lit for two days, lol. The second day the temp was just starting to drop. It was 158 when I last looked. And by second day I mean I smoked the brisket on Friday afternoon and the smoker was still going Sunday. All vents shut.

Back
Top Bottom