ISO help cooking 21 lbs. of beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FNKBRAN

Assistant Cook
i have a 21 lb. beef roast to cook over charcoal. i figure 30 to 35 minutes a pound. does that seem right? will that really take 10 hours to cook? any info will be appreciated.

Hi and welcome to DC.

What cut is the roast? Is it a possibility to cut the roast into several smaller roasts?

You will get much better results cutting it into 4-6 lb. roasts. Most people like to have a crisp and browned surface and a rare to medium rare moist inside. You will get better individual servings with smaller roasts. You will also be better able to judge the degree of doneness with smaller roasts. Some folks may prefer more well done roasts than rare or medium rare and you can cook one or two roasts to suit their needs.

Since you have not done this before you may over-cook the entire 21 lb. roast and have unsatisfactory results. Unless you have a commercial oven where you can regulate the temperature evenly over the entire cooking period you will never know the true rate of cooking.

Additionally, 21 lbs. of meat is a big piece to lift and turn. Unless you have a very sturdy grill it may even exceed the weight limits of the grill unit.

I also would cut it up into 4 chunks.
My family favorite way is I marinate it in onions,garlic, bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and beef broth overnite.

Then put on the grill and keep basting it with the broth. I boil the marniate to kill any bacteria from marniating.

It comes out so juicey and delious.

either cut it up or smoke the hole thing...but if you decide to smoke it be prepared for a long and drawn out process that will last all day and part of the evening as it will take about 14 to 16 hours to smoke.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom