"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 06-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
Executive Chef

ISO Smoked Pork Shoulder rec for Saturday

So I've got this pork butt. Would be my first attempt smoking one. I pulled a recipie from here: Barbecuebible.com :: View topic - Boston Butt FAQ

Any other ideas? Tips?

Old 06-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Check out these three threads for a lot of good info.

HERE

AND HERE

AND HERE

Old 06-12-2007, 12:02 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
My first thought when reading your link is bypass the finished cooking time for slicing and definitely go straight for the 200 - 210 degree mark for pulling. You won't be sorry! I probably do mine the most simple of anyone and it turns out great every time. Rub down with salt, pepper, olive oil. I'm not a huge fan of rubs because I want the natural flavor from the meat and the hickory smoke. My other flavors will come from my cider-based sauces or a thinner tomato-based sauce. I put apple juice in my water pan and it DOES make a difference - it's great!

The next time I do a pork butt I may play with a brine.

Just make sure you smoke fat side up - don't peak too much or you will slow the cooking process down. And don't over smoke - whatever smoking chunks I put on I only replace them a couple times before I just add more hardwood briquetts only to keep the temp up.

Also - use Hickory CHUNKS - chips just don't produce enough flavor. I get my chunks at Lowe's or Home Depot. I've tried mesquite but Hickory gives the best flavor to a pork butt.

I also have a slaw recipe and a couple bbq sauce recipes if you want them.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
Executive Chef

A coupla questions. Some of those cooking times vary tremendously as noted in the top link Andy provided, and the link I found. Can I start the butt in the oven, let's say 250 deg at 6am for 3 hrs, transfer to smoker, indirect method at 225 for 8 hours? This would give me a finish time around 5pm and a totla cooking time of 11 hrs.

I would use some oak first, then a bag of Hickory chunk. Spray with mop every 30-45 minutes.

I agree with your method "less is more" and will try the apple juice.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

If possible, I would do the smoking first and finish it in the oven. So the answer is yes, you can.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Why wouldn't you just do it in the smoker for the whole 11 hours?

A "bag" of Hickory chunks would be waaay too much smoke. If you use maybe 6 chunks of Oak at first I would do another 6 or so chunks of Hickory and then that's all or maybe a few more the next time you add some hardwood briquettes. But much more than that and you will have a bitter taste.

Just be sure to soak your wood chunks for at least 30 minutes before adding to your hot coals.

Maybe someone else can answer this but I don't know how pre-cooking in the oven affects the smoke penetration. Would the outside already be somewhat sealed and prevent smoke penetration? It's probably a dumb question but it crossed my mind.

Edited to add: Be sure and give enough time for this chunk of meat to rest for at least 30 minutes.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

How many pounds is your pork butt Jeekinz?

Old 06-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I just glanced at it in the freezer after the DW brought it home. Looks to be 6 1/2 lbs. I'll check tonight.

I have lump charchoal and wood chunk for fuel. Not an electric smoker. I may "annoy" the neighborhood firing up the smoker at 6am.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Lump and wood is fine (I believe it's lump for the long lasting issue and wood for the higher burning temp? - is that right Andy M?) - just be sure to have about 3 or 4 bags on hand, along with your wood chunks you will be using. I would plan on no less than 11 hours cooking time and bring it to 200 finished temperature if you can - at least in the 190's is better than nothing.

I used to have an electric smoker and while I loved it because I could leave and go do things I do like my "regular" smoker better! It makes one heck of a Thanksgiving turkey!!!

Old 06-12-2007, 02:31 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Not sure what you're asking...

I believe lump burns hotter and faster than briquettes. I would also expect it to burn hotter than wood, but there are several factors that effect the result. The size of the wood pieces, the type of wood, how dry it is and how much you use.

If the wood is just for the smoke, you would be using small chunks soaked in water to slow the burn and make smoke. The charcoal would provide the fuel and the wood would provide the smoke.

If you are intending to use hardood logs for heat, they need to be dry. Logs will last longer than the lump.