Key to make good BBQ ribs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
speaking of wood chunks, I have always been using wood chips enclosed in an aluminum container with holes. but I got hickory wood chunks this time. should I water soak the wood chunks?

I got hickory wood chunks this time. should I water soak the wood chunks?
No, place a chunk or two directly on the hot coals. Soaking chunks in water does absolutely nothing.
If you feed them too much air the chunks will catch fire. You don't want that. You want them to just smolder within the cooker and watch for that thin blue smoke.....it's easy to distinguish between good blue smoke and undesirable white charcoal smoke against a dark background.

Easy does it

There are probably just as many tricks to great Q as there are Q'ers. Methods vary by region, culture and available resources. St. Louis, Kansas City, Memphis, Cajun all have unique traditions and methods.

I'm a big believer in low and slow and sauce is always served on the side. I never ever put foil on the Q and I generally smoke Baby Backs on a Traeger with oak pellets at 185 for about 5 hours. Slowly melting the fats and breaking down connective tissues are the keys to tender Q.

One method or tradition isn't necessarily better or worse than another and there is plenty of room for all kinds. Make the Q that makes you happy. To me, Q is all about sharing great food that's well prepared with friends and family not "pitmasters".

There was a question earlier in the thread about cooking ribs on a charcoal kettle....Here is one well thought out method.

We do a dry rub: salt, pepper, garlic, maybe a little onion, wrap in foil, bake at 275-300 for a couple hours. Place on grill, paint on sauce (we do different ones), grill until sauce is bubbling and glazed looking.

We do a dry rub: salt, pepper, garlic, maybe a little onion, wrap in foil, bake at 275-300 for a couple hours. Place on grill, paint on sauce (we do different ones), grill until sauce is bubbling and glazed looking.

TNT. Like has been said by most, many ways to skin a cat.

Everything has been said that needs to be said. The OP has the answer to their question and from what I have read has decided on a method. I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom