Martini Lamb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Martini Lamb

1 6 pound leg of lamb

MARTINI PASTE:
1/2 medium onion -- chopped
10 cloves garlic
juice and zest of one lemon
3 tablespoons gin
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 cup olive oil

MARTINI MOP (OPTIONAL):
1 cup gin
1 cup beef stock
2/3 cup water
juice of one lemon
2 tablespoons olive oil

The nite before, prepare paste. In food processor, combine the onion, garlic lemon, gin and salt and process to combine. Continue processing, pouring in the oil until a thin paste forms. Generously spread the paste on the lamb.
Place lamb in plastic bag and refrigerate overnite.

Prepare smoker bringing temp. to 200-220.

Remove meat from icebox let sit at room temp. for 30 min.

Mix mop (if you plan to baste) and warm over low heat.

Transfer lamb to smoker. Cook 35-40 min./lb until internal temp. is 145 for rare-med. rare. Baste meat w/mop every 45-50 min. in wood-burning pit, or as appropriate for your style smoker. Remove lamb and let sit 10 min. Slice
and serve warm or chilled.

TIP: Leg of lamb is best when lightly smoked... in a water smoker. But other types will yield pleasing results. If using a wood-burning pit,wrap the lamb in foil after the first hour!

TIP: Use coarse kosher salt. The mild flavor won't over-power the dish

I use a similar recipe, but I add something that's INCREDIBLY readily available in my area (Central Oregon):

Juniper berries. We have juniper trees all over the **** place out here. I grab about a tablespoon's worth from one of the ones in my backyard, rinse em and scrub em, and put them in (whole--you don't want to turn them into part of the paste) with the marinade overnight. Just be sure to take them off when you take the product out of the fridge the next day. The berries themselves are hard, bitter and generally not very tasty...but they really seem to do something with the gin.

Back
Top Bottom