Massachusetts State BBQ Championship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QSis

Washing Up
This weekend at Lowell, MA. Sept 9, 10, 2006 , the Tsongas Arena
http://www.lowellma.gov/eventitems/2005-ribn-brews

Saturday is the grilling competition, and Sunday is the real BBQ competition.

It's a great take, with at least 14 microbreweries, tons of BBQ vendors and other vendors selling their wares. Going to be lovely weather, too!

AndyM. and any other BBQ enthusiasts in the area, I hope to see you there! My team is Back 40 BBQ.

Lee

P.S. please, try not to visit between the hours of 11 a.m, and 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, during the heat of the BBQ battle. We won't be able to talk to you very much during that time.

Attachments

• Harpoon ribs 2005.JPG
    Harpoon ribs 2005.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder, Lee. I'm going to try to get there but we have a very busy weekend.

Good luck to you and your team.

Good Luck Back Forty BBQ:LOL:
wish I could come root for ya...

kadesma:)

I'd go but we have a block party that day. I have to make 40 lbs of chicken wings and chili for our chili cookoff.

GOOD LUCK!!

Darn I wish I had seen this earlier. We already have plans this weekend. Best of luck QSis. I can't wait to hear about your gold medal!

Good luck! (that picture looks delicious, got the recipe to that posted somewhere?)

jennyema said:
WHAT HAPPENED? :chef:

Back 40 came in 5th out of 28 or so teams. Took a first place in Brisket, though, for the second year in a row. Got a ribbon in pulled Pork, but the judges didn't care for our chicken (which was the best BBQ chicken I've ever HAD) or our ribs (I agree with the judges on those).

And thanks for asking, jenny!:)

I tried to upload a couple of pictures, but it won't let me. Is there a maximum number of pictures I can have in my attachment file? (or whatever that list of photos is).

Lee

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Congratulations!! I'd love to go next year and sample.

I have no idea about the pics, but I am sure someone else can answer that.

QSis said:
Back 40 came in 5th out of 28 or so teams. Took a first place in Brisket, though, for the second year in a row. Got a ribbon in pulled Pork, but the judges didn't care for our chicken (which was the best BBQ chicken I've ever HAD) or our ribs (I agree with the judges on those).

Lee

Lee, I'm a brand new member here, and only just got to reading your post. I'm not sure if I got to judge your offerings, but I'm a KCBS judge and was up in Lowell for the Ribs 'n Brews competition in September. Beautiful site to hold it and a beautiful weekend! Congrats on your team's achievements! Looking forward to next year!

DianeF

Welcome to DC, Diane!

You are probably a member of NEBS (New England BBQ Society), which has a Yahoo group email list that's very active. Some NEBS members are now trying to organize a winter competition in New Hampshire, over Martin Luther King weekend in January. They may be looking for judges for that one.

Welcome aboard!

Lee

QSis said:
Welcome to DC, Diane!

You are probably a member of NEBS (New England BBQ Society), which has a Yahoo group email list that's very active. Some NEBS members are now trying to organize a winter competition in New Hampshire, over Martin Luther King weekend in January. They may be looking for judges for that one.

Welcome aboard!

Lee

Thanks for the welcome. No, I'm currently only a KCBS certified judge...not sure how one would become a NEBS member. I'll have to do some research and check it out. Travelling in January up to NH seems a bit of a crap shoot though... cross your fingers for mild weather! :)

DianeF

QSis said:
Welcome to DC, Diane!

Welcome aboard!

Lee
Keep us posted about that competition Qsis. We have a timeshare in NH and hardly ever use it. This would be a GREAT us for it. BBQ in January would make me very happy!!!

Okay.

Diane, here is the NEBS website. The annual dues are low, and include a subscription to one of the national BBQ newspapers. We are always looking for new BBQ-loving members - to cook, to judge and to be Board members! http://www.nebs.org/

Gary, it looks as if the MLK competition will be held at Inn Seasons Resort in Lincoln, NH. According to the contest organizer, Loon Mountain will have fireworks that weekend, as well as skiing, of course, and snow mobile rentals.

Not sure about the cooking categories for this one, but the traditional four categories of Kansas City BBQ Society competition are chicken, ribs, pulled pork and beef brisket. The latter two require overnight smoking, so a January contest will be a challenge for the competitors. If I were cooking, I would most CERTAINLY book a room in the Inn to thaw out in between food prep and smoking!

The contest organizer is talking about a fifth category of chili, and maybe even a chicken wing cook-off on the Saturday night.

This sounds like a fun time!

Lee

Lee that is just what I wanted to hear. Lincoln is just a few minutes from our timeshare. Do you have a link or any more info or is it still on the drawing boards?

Will you be competing? I sure hope so!

Gary, it's still on the drawing board, but if you want to follow the discussion, join the NEBS yahoo group.

I seriously doubt that I'll be competing under my own team, with me as pit boss that weekend. I don't find it fun to brave the elements while cooking and sleeping anymore. I wouldn't mind helping another team, if I got to sleep inside in a bed! Or maybe judge the competition, if I get that weekend off.

Hope to meet up with you sometime!

Lee

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom