Muffin Tin Thighs 7-2-17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
Here are the dedicated tin and pan.

36788-albums1069-picture6918.jpg

The tin which I have drilled holes in each cup.
36788-albums1069-picture6915.jpg

This is what I do to prep the thighs. Cut the "knuckle" off each end of the bone and trim the excess skin. Now you have a nice rounded thigh.
36788-albums1069-picture6920.jpg

Thighs dusted with rub on skin side.
36788-albums1069-picture6916.jpg

Thighs in tin and dusted with rub on the underside.
36788-albums1069-picture6917.jpg

I set up the Egg with Royal Oak lump, layering cherry chunks in the mix. Brought the Egg, with plate setter and rack to 300F.

The finished thighs.

36788-albums1069-picture6921.jpg

The initial cooking time, skin side down was 1 hour and 15 minutes. The thighs were then turned skin side up for about 45 minutes. They were removed to a 13" x 9" cookie sheet, glazed with the blackberry sauce, which is a combination of two other sauces, honey, pure maple syrup and some other ingredients, then another 20 minutes on the Egg.

Last edited:
craig - thanks I have been wanting to do this. What is the set up with the pan shown in the photo? Does your muffin pan sit directly on the grill grates?

craig - thanks I have been wanting to do this. What is the set up with the pan shown in the photo? Does your muffin pan sit directly on the grill grates?

The muffin tin sits inside the cake pan which has about 1/2" of chicken stock in it. Then it goes on the grate. It will cook this way until the thighs are moved to the cookie sheet to be glazed with the sauce and cooked until the glaze is set.

The first time I made these, I used disposable aluminum pans. That was before we knew how much we liked them and I decided to have a designated set up. Not sure if you are anywhere near Jack's Old South, but Myron sells his named sauces, while I used his generic recipes for the sauces and rub.

I use to cut the knuckle's off each end. Now I remove the whole bone. This makes it easier to eat and form into "balls".

Better not let Myron find you. He's pretty protective of those muffin thighs. :ohmy:

CD ;)

What internal temp are you aiming for? 2 hrs and 20 minutes seems like a long time at 300.

What internal temp are you aiming for? 2 hrs and 20 minutes seems like a long time at 300.

Not shooting for an internal temp and I've cut down the time from what was originally called for.

Back
Top Bottom