"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 03-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I have never heard of the stuff personally.

About your offset smoker.
I have one too. A Brinkman. I have used it several times, but its now relegated to the basement for two(2) reasons.

1) Its heavy and its located down there, (basement) so it must be used downstairs and I prefer to cook up here. With the rest of humanity.
I do have a small patio down there.

2) It uses a LOT of wood. Lots of wood. It is not even close to being economical. Once I ran out of free pecan wood, I quit using it.

Here is my post from before. Since you seem to know a good bit about smoking meats, will you look over my delima and see if you can suggest anything?
Here it is. Post #12. Electric smokers

Thanks in Advance...........John
I have one of these now. I still use my big offset because I love to tend the fire and fuss over my cookin! :D But I use it much less since I bought an Akorn. Lowe's has the same thing. It is where I bought mine. It's only difference is the side tables are metal, not wood. Akorns use lump charcoal for the heat and wood chunks for smoke. I can do two long cooks on one load of charcoal at 250*. Very efficient.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...60471040746947

Old 03-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #12
Executive Chef

[QUOTE=Paymaster;1352581]I have one of these now. I still use my big offset because I love to tend the fire and fuss over my cookin! :D But I use it much less since I bought an Akorn. Lowe's has the same thing. It is where I bought mine. It's only difference is the side tables are metal, not wood. Akorns use lump charcoal for the heat and wood chunks for smoke. I can do two long cooks on one load of charcoal at 250*. Very efficient.=Quote]

I was hoping for some expert advice on using the offset smoker.

I have four outdoor cookers.

Weber Kettle
Weber (Smokey Joe)
Weber Silver Genesis gas grill
Brinkman (offset smoker)

I am not in any position to buy or store yet another tool, to sit around and take up space.
The offset smoker provides lots of room, but uses more wood than a fireplace it seems. I have started to put the fire in the cooking box instead of the offset firebox to save on fuel.
I am asking about the offset smoker design. Did you read the post I linked to you?
TIA.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #13
Sous Chef

[QUOTE=Roll_Bones;1352730]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paymaster View Post
I have one of these now. I still use my big offset because I love to tend the fire and fuss over my cookin! :D But I use it much less since I bought an Akorn. Lowe's has the same thing. It is where I bought mine. It's only difference is the side tables are metal, not wood. Akorns use lump charcoal for the heat and wood chunks for smoke. I can do two long cooks on one load of charcoal at 250*. Very efficient.=Quote]

I was hoping for some expert advice on using the offset smoker.

I have four outdoor cookers.

Weber Kettle
Weber (Smokey Joe)
Weber Silver Genesis gas grill
Brinkman (offset smoker)

I am not in any position to buy or store yet another tool, to sit around and take up space.
The offset smoker provides lots of room, but uses more wood than a fireplace it seems. I have started to put the fire in the cooking box instead of the offset firebox to save on fuel.
I am asking about the offset smoker design. Did you read the post I linked to you?
TIA.
I have no words of wisdom on the offsets. I use them occasionally. I have a small one similar to your Brinkman and I have a large one made from a propane tank. The large one is named The Beast due to its appitite for wood. I have never tried burning wood in the smoke chamber. When I bought the Akorn, the use of my other equipment slowed. I have yet to fire my four burner gas grill since the Akorn purchase. Being it has lots of stainless, the gasser will likely end up at the scrap yard.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #14
Executive Chef

The problem with the "dime store" smokers are design and materials. They use excess fuel because the metal is thin and they "leak" from all openings and not just the chimney. These things even leak from where the firebox is mounted to the cooking chamber. I know this as fact as I have owned several. Once I was enlightened, I saw why these things are so cheap.

Don't know if you have a Bass Pro Shop in your area, but if so and they carry the Horizon (out of Oklahoma), you can check it out and actually see the difference. The one I'm considering, has a $1,600.00 price tag. I'm thinking of setting up a small, roadside business for extra income, once I retire (I wish). It will serve as a home cooker as well.

If you happen to be in the area, Contact Lang BBQ Smokers, you could check out these guys. They swear by reverse flow.

My large BGE is great. maintains temps perfectly and is extremely fuel efficient, but it just isn't the same as a stick burner and is too small for large cooks. Even the extra large is too small, IMO, for large cooks.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Thanks Craig, just what I was inquiring about.

Yes, my offset smoker was not expensive at all. But does seem quite heavy. I doubt its 1/4" rolled steel though.
I have read a bit on smoker design and thats why I was curious.

Good luck on your idea. It should go over well down there. I remember stopping at a little tent on University drive/27th ave down in the north Dade section for ribs after work on the second shift at the RR.
Not the best part of town, but the rib sandwich was excellent.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I'm thinking of setting up a small, roadside business for extra income, once I retire (I wish).
Will you be doing mail order?