"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 06-06-2011, 03:15 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Good job mate well done, I have been practicing hard and yesterday I did a dry rubbed boned pork butt that we pulled.I will post pics.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Andy,

Looking good.

I do find I can have trouble regulating temps if I get too much fuel in. I find it is very easy for me to over fuel the box (I do use a side box style, not the Weber though).

Also you might not need the chip box, just try sprinkling those chips straight on the charcoal. Mind you they don't last as long, but they also don't need as much fuel to get em going.

I did consider I had too much charcoal for this but if I cut back, I wouldn't have had enough heat to sear the surface at the end. I guess I could do the searing first then smoke.

I also thought about not using the smoker box. It was probably overkill for such a small job.

Hmmm, if I had used less charcoal and just tossed the chips on the coals they would have started smoking faster and there would be more coals left at the end for searing. Very interesting.

As Uncle Bob suggested, there was an intermittent wind. I wondered how much of an effect that had on the process. I didn't document the correlation of wind speed to grill temp.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Wind can definitely have a big effect on keeping a constant temp, or running to hot, or even not hot enough. Wind is squirrelly when it comes to smoking. That's why I have a drum I put around my WSM when it's windy, or only 5 degrees outside. It helps conserve charcoal, too, to have this insulator in place.
You've got the best of both worlds there, Andy. If it was me and I was wanting to sear the steaks, I'd fire up the Ducane towards the end of the smoke. Otherwise, if you really wanted to do it all on one grill, assuming you had the vents closed most of the way to maintain smoking temps, open them all up towards the end. It doesn't take much to get a temperature spike with all that oxygen.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #14
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I haven't seared with smoking, I have when I did some indirect grilling. I find the coals used for the process need to be augmented when it comes time to sear so I don't worry too much about the fuel load until I get to that part, then I add enough to get the job done.

I wonder what effect searing will have to the absorption of the smoke. Might make an interesting experiment.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
...open them all up towards the end. It doesn't take much to get a temperature spike with all that oxygen.

That's what I did. Just about made it with the charcoal I had left.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
How do we know that's your Weber?

Who said it was???
Old 06-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #17
Master Chef

Andy, I've been bragging about smoked turkeys on the Webber for years now. You have to try it. You will be amazed at how good they are. Also, no need to spatchcock a chicken, or any fowl. Simply divide the charcoal into two beds, on either side of the fire-grate, and place a disposable aliminum loaf pan between the charcoal piles (after the charcoal is hot). Fill the drip pan half full with water. Prepare your bird just after lighting the charcoal. Clean and truss your bird, rub with oil or butter, inject with turkey broth (made from the neck and giblets). Salt lightly all over the bird. Place your favorite smoking wood directly on the charcoal to both create smoke, and to protect the turkey from the direct infra-red heat of the charcoal. Insert a meat thermometer into the bird, and cover the lens with aluminum foil as the smoke will foul it badly. Place the lid on top and close vents, top and bottom half way. Figure about 12 minutes per pound. At the end of the time, check the internal temp. It won't be quite done yet, but will give you an idea of how close you are. Your final goal is 165' in the thickest breast meat.

When it's done, remove from the fire to a platter and let it rest 20 minutes. Cave by removing the thighs and wings, and cutting the whole breasts away from the carcass. Slice the breasts against the grain so as to give everyone a little of that yummy skin. And don't forget to share the "oysters" with someone special.

My smoking woods of choice for turkey are, maple, birch, apple, mesquite.

I've been smoking a lot of things on the Webber for a lot of years. Don't worry so much about temperature control. Worry more about internal meat temperature. That will determine the final quality of the meat. Cooking temperature control is important, but is much more variable than most people think it is.

Oh, and that little picture of a crown pork roast that I use for my avatar, that was done on the Webber. And it came out fantastic.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #18
Master Chef

Oh, and Andy, I forgot to mention that your pictures want to make me get on the next airplane to your house. Great job. I just get so excited with the things that can be done on a Webber.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks, GW. I'm working my way up to larger pieces that take longer.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I did consider I had too much charcoal for this but if I cut back, I wouldn't have had enough heat to sear the surface at the end. I guess I could do the searing first then smoke.
I think you had about the right amount of charcoal. But perhaps you lit too many or all of them initially. I usually dump a chimney worth of charcoal into the kettle but with only about the bottom third of the chimney lit. Many folks like to first bank a pile of unlit charcoal in the kettle and then place a few fully lit charcoals onto it and then slowly watch the kettle rise to desired smoking temp. You want to catch and stop the temperature as it is rising.
The undesirable white charcoal smoke will eventually disappear and if you threw in wood chunks you should see blue smoke venting out.

I typically get at least 3 hours of smoking temp with a single chimney worth of charcoal with plenty of fuel left for searing.