"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 06-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I think you had about the right amount of charcoal. But perhaps you lit too many or all of them initially. I usually dump a chimney worth of charcoal into the kettle with only about the bottom third of the chimney lit. Many folks like to first bank a pile of unlit charcoal in the kettle and then place a few fully lit charcoals onto it and then slowly watch the kettle rise to desired smoking temp. You want to catch and stop the temperature as it is rising.
The undesirable white charcoal smoke will eventually disappear and if you threw in wood chunks you should see blue smoke venting out.

I typically get at least 3 hours of smoking temp with a single chimney worth of charcoal with plenty of fuel left for searing.

Do you mean I should fill or almost fill a chimney and light it then pour it into the grill before it's completely burning?

Old 06-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Do you mean I should fill or almost fill a chimney and light it then pour it into the grill before it's completely burning?
Yes, I do that all the time......which is essentially the same as placing a few fully lit charcoals (maybe 10 briquettes) onto a large pile of unlit charcoal. (aka The Minion Method)

Old 06-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Yes, I do that all the time......which is essentially the same as placing a few fully lit charcoals (maybe 10) onto a large pile of unlit charcoal. (aka The Minion Method)

So, if I do that, then all I need to do is add the wood chips and meat and bring it up to temp then lock it down. Basically, a minute or two after the charcoal goes in, it's cooking and smoking.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I didn't document the correlation of wind speed to grill temp.
Slacker...
Old 06-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #25
Master Chef

I like to let the temp settle and wait for the thin blue smoke before adding meat. Also try using wood chunks placed directly on the coals....you'll get immediate smoke.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Cool. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Slacker...

Net time I am combining a digital anemometer and a digital graphing device along with a digital thermometer readout coupler to automatically collect and display the wind/heat correlation in digital graph format.

Well, actually I'll wet my digit and hold it up in the air. Then I look at the digits on the thermometer and watch what they do. Them I'll write it down using the pencil I'm holding in my other digits. Pretty "handy" don't you think?
Old 06-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Net time I am combining a digital anemometer and a digital graphing device along with a digital thermometer readout coupler to automatically collect and display the wind/heat correlation in digital graph format.

Well, actually I'll wet my digit and hold it up in the air. Then I look at the digits on the thermometer and watch what they do. Them I'll write it down using the pencil I'm holding in my other digits. Pretty "handy" don't you think?
or...you can just get a BGE.....
Old 06-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
or...you can just get a BGE.....

Sorry, not in the budget.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #30
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

Hand dry and warm...sunny.
Hand wet and chilly...raining.
Hand flapping...windy.