"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 06-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

My Smoking Experiment

I want to be able to smoke on my Weber kettle. I figured I should practice. So I thought I'd start on a small scale with a couple of thick cut pork sirloins (about 1.75 lbs.).

Earlier today I rubbed the two pieces with my dry rub mix and wrapped them to flavor up in the fridge.

I soaked some hickory chips in a SS smoker box and lighted a bunch of charcoal in a chimney for the grill. I piled the charcoal on one side and closed the lid to get the grill up to temp.

Then I added the smoker box and waited for the smoke. When I got smoke, I shut down the vents and added the to pieces of meat. I had two thermometers in there too.

I had a hard time regulating the temps. They fluctuated between 240 F and 350 F. There was plenty of smoke and while I was fiddling with the temps, the meat cooked. When I was almost at final temp, I removed the smoker box and moved the meats to direct heat over the coals for a final sear. I brushed on some BBQ sauce near the end to finish it off and away we went.

It tasted great. There was good smoke and the meat was juicy and delicious. SO liked it with and without BBQ suace. I liked it better without.

Just to prove it really did happen, some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01896.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	11111   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01897.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	11112  

Name:	DSC01898.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	11113   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01900.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	11114  

Name:	DSC01901.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	11115  

Old 06-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Just to prove it really did happen, some pics.
How do we know that's your Weber?

Very nice. The pork steaks look great. I don't see much smoke ring, but that's probably because they cooked so quickly with the temps getting up to 350, or maybe you should have left the chips in for the duration. I'm sure you will dial it in.

Where's my plate?

Old 06-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Looks great!
Old 06-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
How do we know that's your Weber?

Very nice. The pork steaks look great. I don't see much smoke ring, but that's probably because they cooked so quickly with the temps getting up to 350, or maybe you should have left the chips in for the duration. I'm sure you will dial it in.

Where's my plate?
I first had to get the fire hot enough to start the chips burning then get it to cool down to a reasonable temp. before adding the meats. I agree there wasn't a smoke ring but the smoke flavor was there. I think it will help if I use less charcoal next time. I used about 3/4 of a large chimney.

BTW, I ate your portion, I knew you were tied up with ham and cheese.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Why you..... eat my portion will you...
Old 06-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Great job Andy!! The Pork Steaks look great and I know y'all enjoyed them!! I have an idea what's coming next....A couple of things you may want to look into....The grate with flip sides..Great for adding lit charcoal for longer cooking times without removing everything...adding wood chunks etc. Second the rib rack...These can usually be found at Home Depot type stores..Don't let the SS grate price scare you..the steel ones are much cheaper...Less than $20,00 I think...Anyway, Again...Good looking pork steaks...

Grate
Rib Rack

PS. Don't sweat the "Smoke Ring" thing....It's not a *Smoke Ring* at all... just a chemical reaction that's really not that important...it's basically tasteless and does not adversely affect the quality of the BBQ meat one way or the other....

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Uncle Bob, I am truly a lucky guy. My sweetheart believes in getting me gifts that are things I really want even though they aren't practical. You know, fun stuff.

Last year's Father's day gift was the Weber, a charcoal chimney, grilling gloves, etc. Even though I already had a gas grill.

Over the winter I got the grate with the hinged flaps as you described because I mentioned it once.

This year my early Father's Day gift was a jalapeno smoking rack and a few other doodads. (More to come but I don't have a clue).

I was actually thinking about doing a fatty next because it looks fairly forgiving.

I have to really pin down temperature control before I can "Q" with the big boys.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

My old eyes fail me...I could not see the hinges on the grate...Thus my suggestion to get one...It will prove invaluable in the future ~~ Temperature Control...Really Fire Control is a constant nemesis for most BBQ folks...It takes time, practice, patience, and a close personal relationship with your cooker of choice... Even then.. at times it seems the Fire gods like to play tricks on you...Beware the West Wind!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
My old eyes fail me...I could not see the hinges on the grate...Thus my suggestion to get one...It will prove invaluable in the future ~~ Temperature Control...Really Fire Control is a constant nemesis for most BBQ folks...It takes time, practice, patience, and a close personal relationship with your cooker of choice... Even then.. at times it seems the Fire gods like to play tricks on you...Beware the West Wind!

Your eyes are fine Bob. I didn't have the hinged grate on the grill. didn't think I'd need it.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #10
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Andy,

Looking good.

I do find I can have trouble regulating temps if I get too much fuel in. I find it is very easy for me to over fuel the box (I do use a side box style, not the Weber though).

Also you might not need the chip box, just try sprinkling those chips straight on the charcoal. Mind you they don't last as long, but they also don't need as much fuel to get em going.