Need Help with Smoking a Turkey Breast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My go to wood for poultry is Cherry......
For a medium/Avg sized bone-in breast (6-7 lbs)...figure 3 hours and check closely after that until it's done....
If you're nervous....check it at 2 hours. That is if you don't have a remote Therm-O meter in the deepest portion to monitor progress... Strongly recommended!
No...A couple of hours should be plenty......
225*-250* breast side up......
Pull it at 160....Tent, rest....You know the drill....30-45 minutes....
Brining is strongly recommended!!!

Fun!

Thanks, Uncle Bob. Good info. I missed your post the first time through.

I'm doing it this coming Sunday. I just bought the breast today and it's defrosting. Then I'll brine it overnight Saturday and smoke it Sunday.

I also bought some cherry wood chips (that's the only one of the recommended flavors I found).

The weather looks good for the weekend so everything is falling onto place.

Were you planning on rolling it up in zig zags, or using a pipe?

God bless you for this one. I usually say that it is sooooo difficult getting turkey into those little papers;);)

Brine the turkey breast in salt and dark brown sugar before smoking....

Poultry doesn't benefit as much from the traditional smoking mantra of low and slow. 325 until internal temp is 165. Oak or pecan woods are my favorites for this. Work some butter and herbs under the skin.

I agree Forty C, I have only done one, I did not brine it I injected it with the duck fat I had from thisgarden & BBQ 105.jpg.
I have run out of whisky barrel chunks so I am using Pear and Apple wood from 3 old fruit trees I cut down 2 yrs ago.
PS I bought some large turkey thighs a few months ago as I prefer dark Turkey meat this thread has inspired me to defrost one for the weekend.

Here's the finished product. I brined it for about 5 hours and I used cherry chips for smoke. I had better luck maintaining a steady temperature today. But it was hot with no real breeze. It sure tasted good. SO and our dinner guests loved it.

Thanks to you all for your help.

Attachments

• DSC02004.jpg
    DSC02004.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 228
Here's the finished product. I brined it for about 5 hours and I used cherry chips for smoke. I had better luck maintaining a steady temperature today. But it was hot with no real breeze. It sure tasted good. SO and our dinner guests loved it.

Fantastic job :)

That looks gorgeous Andy. Beautiful color on that bird. Darn it, now I have to find a turkey breast and convince my dad to smoke it for me. My grill is too small to do it. :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom