Never used a smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pacanis said:
Uncle Bob, does this mean that once the desired temp is reached, you are done?

No it means the meat is done:LOL:…It’s time to eat….Time to enjoy the fruits of your labor! A clock or wrist watch can’t tell you that…Only a thermometer can. If you aren’t quite ready to eat…then wrap the meat in foil until you are!

Pacanis said:
Is it possible to smoke the meat too much?

Absolutely! There is more meat ruined each year from over-smoking (to much smoke) than one can imagine. The Demons of Disinformation have led us to believe that meat flung into the gasses of burning woods, blackened by it phenolic (phenol) resins, and “Flame Broiled” (Burger King?) is good!! They even created a new buzz word, an erroneous synonym for BBQ, and called it “Smoking” Our palates, being dulled by fast food, TV dinners, packaged concoctions, and being ever eager to try new things rushed to join the frenzy believing in all of our innocence that Burnt Is Beautiful! Today, thankfully, even those of us with the dullest palates, and most naïve minds have begun to question. (Dare we question the high Priest and Priestess of PR, of Television, and magazines???) We ask… “What am I doing wrong?? Meat is not supposed to taste bitter!! Gradually the truth has become obvious…Over-smoked meat does not taste good!!

Pacanis said:
I am probably confusing using a slow cooker with smoking, in thinking that low and slow gives you lots of leeway as far as time is concerned....

The low & slow methods of BBQ give you lots of time to do other (more important?) things… relax, watch the clouds float by, visit with friends and family, toss a Frisbee with the kids, take a nap in the hammock, lay in the grass and look for a four-leaf clover…sip your favorite beverage….then at your leisure you may enjoy the pure savory succulence that is BBQ.

Pacanis said:
I don't know....I am assuming that the meat can't get a higher temp than what the smoker registers... but will it dry out if left on too long, even with a water pan?

Yes it will/can dry out…even with water in the cooker.

OK LT - here's what you do the first time. You will need:

Hickory CHUNKS (not chips)
Hardwood Briquettes
Charcoal (do NOT use the stuff with lighter fluid in it already)
Cheap apple juice or apple cider
Chimney (to start the coal - I prefer 2 but 1 will do)
2 sheets of newspaper per chimney
Buy one of those plastic lighters
Instant read thermometer
Silicone gloves or pot holders to pick up the hot hunk of meat as you do not want to pierce with a fork

Hamburger buns
coleslaw recipe below

1 pork shoulder or picnic or pork butt, whatever it's called in your area
cut the hunk of fat off the meat - there's plenty of fat in it, you don't need it, plus, it will create more "bark", that's the brown stuff on the outside that gets all the yummy tasty goodness

Rub your shoulder or picnic (nope, you can't make me say it! :ohmy:) with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Let come to room temp for about 30 minutes or so.

Soak your Hickory chunks (about 5) in enough water to cover. Sometimes you have to stick a plate in the bowl to hold the chunks down.

Fill the water pan will apple juice.

Take one full sheet of newspaper and scrunch up and place under your chimney in that area provided. Place a combination of the hardwood briquettes and charcoal in the chimney. Light the paper by poking the lighter through the holes all around. You will see wisps of smoke coming up out of the coals. It will take about 20 minutes until you see fire. When you see the fire you can dump the coals in the coal pan. Place the chunks about the coals, place the meat on the rack in the middle, close the door, and leave it alone!

It will quit smoking eventually but that's ok. The smoke has penetrated the meat. One of the worst things you can do is over-smoke something.

Now, if you notice your temperature setting getting too low you can always heat up some more coals in your chimney - dump those in. Sometimes, depending on how long it takes, I have added 3 or 4 more additions. I'm like Bob, I don't know times either but I know that a hunk of meat can take up to 10 - 12 hours, so plan on that.

After about 8 you can take your instant read thermometer and get an idea. You want the meat to get up to at least 190. Anything less won't be pullable. If you can hold out until it reaches 200 or even 210 you will be smitten for pulled pork forever!

Now, get a head of cabbage and shred or chop. Chop 1 small green pepper and one small carrot. Toss together and add about 1 cup of the sauce below. Let "marinate" for an hour or two.

BBQ Sauce time:
2 cups apple cider vinegar
3 TBS ketchup
2 TBS packed brown sugar
4 tsp. kosher salt (makes a huge difference so use kosher)
1 TBS Tabasco or other hot sauce
1 – 2 tsp. hot red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
1 – 2 tsp. black pepper

If you mix the brown sugar and salt first with just the vinegar the vinegar will help "melt" it. Mix in everything else and add as much red pepper flakes as you want. Don't over do it at first though.

Like mentioned above, take about a cup of this to use for the coleslaw and then use the rest to spoon over the pulled meat.

OK, once the meat is done let it rest for about 20 - 30 minutes - IF YOU PULL IT TOO SOON ALL THE JUICES WILL RUN OUT AND IT WILL BE DRY AND YOU WILL HATE YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!

OK - off soapbox - once the meat has rested and cooled pull as much as you will eat.

Place pulled meat on bun, top with some of the BBQ sauce, then top with the slaw, put bun "lid" on and enjoy!

This looks long but it's really not hard to do - once you do this you will be begging for more recipes and they won't scare you.

**you better make this - it took me forever to type it :LOL:

thanx but it so much easier in an oven. lol. BUT since you went to all this work maybe i will try it out. i just hate having to spend 10 of monitoring, when in the oven, i dont have to watch it.

thanx but it so much easier in an oven. lol. BUT since you went to all this work maybe i will try it out. i just hate having to spend 10 of monitoring, when in the oven, i dont have to watch it.

It's JUST an outdoor oven. There are a few times when the temp will start to go down that you will have to add coals. Don't make me come over there and make you do this! The flavor is sooooooooooooooo much better you have no idea!!!!

It's JUST an outdoor oven. There are a few times when the temp will start to go down that you will have to add coals. Don't make me come over there and make you do this! The flavor is sooooooooooooooo much better you have no idea!!!!

hmm walmart doesnt carry chunk coal or whatever it is.

i was thinkin of smokin a butt with hickory bacon ontop of it.

i will have to try it out. maybe in two weeks.

i was thinkin of smokin a butt with hickory bacon ontop of it.

i will have to try it out. maybe in two weeks.

Is there a Lowe's near you? DH got hickory chunks there this past weekend for our smoked ribs.

btw, I came across this: Any Can Chicken

It has step-by-step instructions, including photos, for smoking and carving a beer-can chicken using whatever liquid you want. HTH.

Easier is not always better.

with time constraints it is, lol...

how long will lump coal mixed with kingsford charcoal last before i need to restock it? can i leave the smoker un monitored for about 4-5 hours while i go 4 wheeling or something fun?

Is there a Lowe's near you? DH got hickory chunks there this past weekend for our smoked ribs.

btw, I came across this: Any Can Chicken

It has step-by-step instructions, including photos, for smoking and carving a beer-can chicken using whatever liquid you want. HTH.

yes there is a lowes near me but im not sure if they have lump coal or not.

Wow - I took about 30 minutes to type out what I thought were pretty easy, yet thorough, guidelines to get you started on your smoker. I'd much rather see "thank you" and you never, ever cook it as opposed to "or whatever it is" - - kind of makes me realize I wasted my time - but at least I now have that info saved for future use.

Maybe a smoker isn't for you. Sounds like a grill and oven are more suited to your lifestyle. You're young - when you get to be my age and sitting on the patio IS an outdoor activity, you will enjoy your smoker :LOL:

I just joined... saw a link to my blog and came over... But to try to help a bit, lump charcoal quality varies a great deal. (removed link per community policies} Royal Oak is pretty available all over, and is pretty decent.

The differences you'll see between lump (natural) and briquettes it that the lump will burn hotter for grilling, while the briquettes (standard Kingsford) burns longer. In a smoker, lump will burn a long time because you're controlling the fire more. Also, natural charcoal generally produces a lot less ash, which means airflow doesn't get clogged.

Cowboy charcoal is all over the place, but it's really junk; I would use Kingsford first.

The great thing about pulled pork is that, starting with a Boston butt roast (part of the shoulder of a pig), it's a very forgiving hunk of meat to cook. You can smoke it at 225 for 12 hours, or you can grill it indirectly in much less time. The slower cooking method is a bit better, but the faster one works very well, too. Other than burning the meat, there's not a lot you can do to ruin a Boston butt. And most smoking/barbecuing can be done at 225 with no problem; higher than 250 starts to have some issues for some things.

For chicken, you can cook it in a smoker at around 300, which gives the added advantage of making the skin more crispy.

From what I've read, you might be better off with a gas, electric, pellet or ceramic smoker, with the gas and electric smokers being the cheapest. You can set them and not worry about them for hours, even overnight.

If you're using the smoker for chicken, turkey, ribs, etc., start with just a couple of chunks of wood. Pecan is great if it's available; hickory can be too much if you're not careful, and mequite is way too strong, in my opinion.

And I agree... oversmoked is bad. If it's bitter tasting, you overdid the smoke. Start with a couple of chunks and add more next time if you want more smoke flavor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - I took about 30 minutes to type out what I thought were pretty easy, yet thorough, guidelines to get you started on your smoker. I'd much rather see "thank you" and you never, ever cook it as opposed to "or whatever it is" - - kind of makes me realize I wasted my time - but at least I now have that info saved for future use.

Maybe a smoker isn't for you. Sounds like a grill and oven are more suited to your lifestyle. You're young - when you get to be my age and sitting on the patio IS an outdoor activity, you will enjoy your smoker :LOL:
hey now, i said thank you on page 3. Im not a dang professional at this thats why i asked. i dont know what lump charcoal is, never even heard of it tell you guys told me.

You may think you have wasted your time but i learned something new from your "wasted time".

the "What ever it is" means i have no idea what to call it so it gets a name of what ever it is.

sitting on the porch is not my forte, i can barley handle riding in a car longer than two hours.

BUT i do want to learn how to smoke meat, i just have little patience to spend 10-12 hours watching the fire and temps.

any way KE, i do appreciate the info.

Thanx

so lump coal is used for grilling and standard kingsford is used for smoking.

Is lump coal the same as hardwood chunks or is that referring to the wood for smoking?

I wouldn't quite say that... It depends on your smoker as to what charcoal to smoke with. I only use lump, never use Kingsford, mainly because Kingsford just produces too much ash. But then I mostly smoke with straight wood logs, and I only get my fire going with charcoal.

In my Big Green Egg, I only use lump with hardwood chunks. If a smoker has good air control, lump can be kept down to a low temperature, so lump helps by again having less ash. Longer burn times are possible by limiting the air to the fire.

Hardwood chunks are just that... chunks of hardwood cut up to add smoke to your fire. It's seasoned but not pre-charred. The chunks should be fist sized or smaller. I usually just split off a sliver of a log to use, but I'm not against getting a bag of chunks now and then.

The nice thing about using chunks is that it's not too expensive to have a box mailed from an internet site, which opens up a lot of possibilities for types of wood to use... I prefer pecan over anything else, but it's not readily available in Ohio. Fortunately, another forum voted for me to get a free box of pecan, mostly due to me organizing a charity barbecue event earlier this month. :)

Cooking Day

on this page he talks about the minion method for lighting the coals. its where you light 16 coals then place them on unlit coals. Then you can start cooking even though the coals are not all lit.

I thought that was bad because the coals contain toxins on the top coating.

is this true?

I wouldn't quite say that... It depends on your smoker as to what charcoal to smoke with. I only use lump, never use Kingsford, mainly because Kingsford just produces too much ash. But then I mostly smoke with straight wood logs, and I only get my fire going with charcoal.

In my Big Green Egg, I only use lump with hardwood chunks. If a smoker has good air control, lump can be kept down to a low temperature, so lump helps by again having less ash. Longer burn times are possible by limiting the air to the fire.

Hardwood chunks are just that... chunks of hardwood cut up to add smoke to your fire. It's seasoned but not pre-charred. The chunks should be fist sized or smaller. I usually just split off a sliver of a log to use, but I'm not against getting a bag of chunks now and then.

The nice thing about using chunks is that it's not too expensive to have a box mailed from an internet site, which opens up a lot of possibilities for types of wood to use... I prefer pecan over anything else, but it's not readily available in Ohio. Fortunately, another forum voted for me to get a free box of pecan, mostly due to me organizing a charity barbecue event earlier this month. :)

wait a minute. mcadams, i swear the website im at has your name on it...

Cooking Day

on this page he talks about the minion method for lighting the coals. its where you light 16 coals then place them on unlit coals. Then you can start cooking even though the coals are not all lit.

I thought that was bad because the coals contain toxins on the top coating.

is this true?

No, LT.

Many, many of us use the "Minion Method" in our bullet-type (and other) smokers. Jim Minion used to post here, but hasn't in a long time.

I use only Kingsford for fuel in my Weber Smokey Mountain, because it is readily available and burns slowly and steadily. I do use wood chips or chunks for flavoring. Hickory is my favorite. I've done very well with this combo in BBQ competitions.

(Wish Jim would jump in on this one!)

I only use lump charcoal for hot and fast grilling in my kettle.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom