Never used a smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, LT.

Many, many of us use the "Minion Method" in our bullet-type (and other) smokers. Jim Minion used to post here, but hasn't in a long time.

I use only Kingsford for fuel in my Weber Smokey Mountain, because it is readily available and burns slowly and steadily. I do use wood chips or chunks for flavoring. Hickory is my favorite. I've done very well with this combo in BBQ competitions.

(Wish Jim would jump in on this one!)

I only use lump charcoal for hot and fast grilling in my kettle.

Lee

Now thats interesting. I always thought that the smoke from starting the fresh charcoal contained toxins and made your meat taste funny.

Now thats interesting. I always thought that the smoke from starting the fresh charcoal contained toxins and made your meat taste funny.

I'll try to "dumb it down" for ya.

Match-Light Charchoal Briquettes- contains chemicals that will alter the flavor of your food. However, you don't need to use a chimney to start it.

Kingsford Briquettes - Briquettes need to be started in a chimney. When the briquettes burn down, you need to start every new batch in a chimney.

Briquette pros - slow burning steady heat.
Briquette cons - need to be started in a chimney every time, leaves alot of ash which can get in the way during long cooks.

Lump charcoal - Lump charcoal is partially burned wood chips/chunks. They can be started in a chimney but can also just be added to the exsisting coals.

Lump pros - no need to chimney start each batch, almost no ash.
Lump cons - burns slightly hotter and faster than briquettes, so long cooks will need to be tended to more often.

Natural Wood - True barbecuing. Great flavor, some species like Applewood have pretty long burn times. Initially needs to be started using newspaper/twigs or some starting method. I have even used a small batch of hot lump to start the logs.

Wood pros - flavor, long burn times
Wood cons - you usually need to cut/split to fit in the smoker, temps can be a little erratic so you will need to keep an eye on it more often.

I have used all three and prefer natural wood. I have a wood burning fireplace so I usually grab some cherry or oak from there and cut it to fit in the smoker. Second to wood would be lump because of the ease of use, no ash and higher temps. It seems to burn at exactly 225F in my smoker. Lastly would be briquettes. I find having to start each batch in a chimney is a hassle. The ash can really build up which can affect how new briquettes burn in the smoker. I had to empty mine out once which was not an easy task. Match light is good for hotdogs and hamburgers at a cookout, not recommended for barbequeing.

People prefer different methods and fuels. So you'll need to find which one you like on your own by trying each one out.

Last edited:
Get a chimney, bag of lump and start from there. Don't even worry about the Minion method or anything along those lines until you familiarize yourself with this type of cooking. There are great "how-to's" on this site and many others. It's very easy to wind up with great results. The hard part is trying to out do yourself each time you smoke something.

I'll try to "dumb it down" for ya.

Match-Light Charchoal Briquettes- contains chemicals that will alter the flavor of your food. However, you don't need to use a chimney to start it.

Kingsford Briquettes - Briquettes need to be started in a chimney. When the briquettes burn down, you need to start every new batch in a chimney.

Briquette cons - need to be started in a chimney every time, leaves alot of ash which can get in the way during long cooks.

Lump charcoal - Lump charcoal is partially burned wood chips/chunks. They can be started in a chimney but can also just be added to the exsisting coals.

Lump pros - no need to chimney start each batch, almost no ash.
Lump cons - burns slightly hotter and faster than briquettes, so long cooks will need to be tended to more often.

Natural Wood - True barbecuing. Great flavor, some species like Applewood have pretty long burn times. Initially needs to be started using newspaper/twigs or some starting method. I have even used a small batch of hot lump to start the logs.

Wood pros - flavor, long burn times
Wood cons - you usually need to cut/split to fit in the smoker, temps can be a little erratic so you will need to keep an eye on it more often.

I have used all three and prefer natural wood. I have a wood burning fireplace so I usually grab some cherry or oak from there and cut it to fit in the smoker. Second to wood would be lump because of the ease of use, no ash and higher temps. It seems to burn at exactly 225F in my smoker. Lastly would be briquettes. I find having to start each batch in a chimney is a hassle. The ash can really build up which can affect how new briquettes burn in the smoker. I had to empty mine out once which was not an easy task. Match light is good for hotdogs and hamburgers at a cookout, not recommended for barbequeing.

People prefer different methods and fuels. So you'll need to find which one you like on your own by trying each one out.

thanx dude, thats alot of info regarding charcoal. I tired to dutch oven once using logs but it go to hot and to hard to control in the fire pit. i was like 12 years old when i did that.

Is lump coal something i have to buy online or is it something i can buy at home depot or lowes?

I'm all about using a chimney too - I have 4 of them. It's a no-brainer. Takes 20 minutes and you're ready. Keep an ash can close by if you need to dump hot coals. I've never had to even in a 10-hour cooking frame. I bought lump charcoal at my grocery store.

I buy the lump charchoal at Lowes. My store carries the Cowboy and Royal Oak brands. Look in the BBQ accessories aisle. A large bag is like $7. They also have the chimneys and other stuff there. Start with the lump and go from there. You can pick up a small bag of mesquite while your there. Just toss a couple pieces onto the coals to add some more flavor. Don't smoke with 100% mesquite though (been there, done that) just use it like you would spices.

Oh.

Don't bug out when you see the lump charchoal pieces. LOL

You'll see some oak tongue and groove flooring, trim, picture frame, etc. Don't worry. They are just solid wood scraps from factories.

Okay, let me clarify myself: I do NOT use a chimney with Kingsford for a long slow smoke! It is a myth that you must.

I don't even use the Minion Method anymore.

I fill up the fire ring with Kingsford, put 2 wax firestarter cubes on the pile, and light them. I monitor the temp. of the fire from then on, going for 225 to 250.

I rarely have to add more coals when keeping the fire that low. One ring lasts me about 10 hours. However, if I have to add more on occasion, I add cold coals from the bag of Kingsford. If I have to go over 12 hours (in cold weather, for example), the ash may be a problem, but then I just wrap the meat and take it in the house anyway.

Given all that, I do have a WSM which has much better airflow than LT's Brinkman. (LT, I don't think leaving your Brinkman to go riding for a couple of hours is a good idea, BTW. Your pit needs some watching).

I have never had a problem with an off-odor from the Kingsford's first being lit, though others have complained about it at times. The finished product does NOT taste off at all!

THERE!

:)

Lee

P.S. I am in no way affiliated with Kingsford, other than being a satisfied customer.

wait a minute. mcadams, i swear the website im at has your name on it...

That's very possible... but then we all learn more as we cook more. :)

The main thing is to start in, take a bit of this info, a bit of that, and figure out what makes the most sense for you. Starting with low-ash charcoal and a chimney is a great way to start, and too many opinions will just confuse everything for you.

I cook regularly using just wood as well as with natural charcoal and wood chunks. Other than the type of smoke I put on the meat, you won't notice a big difference.

The Minion method works, especially in smokers that aren't very airtight like a Chargriller. I saw a Spicewine run with a U shaped charcoal basket that relied on the minion method, and would cook for 24 hours with one load of charcoal that way. In my big smoker, the Minion method won't do a whole lot; I have to get a bed of coals down then add wood on top of that to get the mass of the smoker heated up first.

My point is you can overanalyze all this, and I used to. Now, I just cook. If any one way was the only way, that's all you'd see at competitions. Instead, you see almost as many different methods and smokers as teams at a given competition.

I buy the lump charchoal at Lowes. My store carries the Cowboy and Royal Oak brands. Look in the BBQ accessories aisle. A large bag is like $7. They also have the chimneys and other stuff there. Start with the lump and go from there. You can pick up a small bag of mesquite while your there. Just toss a couple pieces onto the coals to add some more flavor. Don't smoke with 100% mesquite though (been there, done that) just use it like you would spices.

Jeekinz meant to say Hickory instead of mesquite :LOL::-p (j/k) It's just a matter of personal taste LT.

Back
Top Bottom