"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats
Old 05-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #51
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post

Kingsford Briquettes - Briquettes need to be started in a chimney. When the briquettes burn down, you need to start every new batch in a chimney.

Briquette pros - slow burning steady heat.
Briquette cons - need to be started in a chimney every time, leaves alot of ash which can get in the way during long cooks.
Okay, let me clarify myself: I do NOT use a chimney with Kingsford for a long slow smoke! It is a myth that you must.

I don't even use the Minion Method anymore.

I fill up the fire ring with Kingsford, put 2 wax firestarter cubes on the pile, and light them. I monitor the temp. of the fire from then on, going for 225 to 250.

I rarely have to add more coals when keeping the fire that low. One ring lasts me about 10 hours. However, if I have to add more on occasion, I add cold coals from the bag of Kingsford. If I have to go over 12 hours (in cold weather, for example), the ash may be a problem, but then I just wrap the meat and take it in the house anyway.

Given all that, I do have a WSM which has much better airflow than LT's Brinkman. (LT, I don't think leaving your Brinkman to go riding for a couple of hours is a good idea, BTW. Your pit needs some watching).

I have never had a problem with an off-odor from the Kingsford's first being lit, though others have complained about it at times. The finished product does NOT taste off at all!

P.S. I am in no way affiliated with Kingsford, other than being a satisfied customer.

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #52
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
wait a minute. mcadams, i swear the website im at has your name on it...
That's very possible... but then we all learn more as we cook more. :)

The main thing is to start in, take a bit of this info, a bit of that, and figure out what makes the most sense for you. Starting with low-ash charcoal and a chimney is a great way to start, and too many opinions will just confuse everything for you.

I cook regularly using just wood as well as with natural charcoal and wood chunks. Other than the type of smoke I put on the meat, you won't notice a big difference.

The Minion method works, especially in smokers that aren't very airtight like a Chargriller. I saw a Spicewine run with a U shaped charcoal basket that relied on the minion method, and would cook for 24 hours with one load of charcoal that way. In my big smoker, the Minion method won't do a whole lot; I have to get a bed of coals down then add wood on top of that to get the mass of the smoker heated up first.

My point is you can overanalyze all this, and I used to. Now, I just cook. If any one way was the only way, that's all you'd see at competitions. Instead, you see almost as many different methods and smokers as teams at a given competition.

Curt McAdams
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I buy the lump charchoal at Lowes. My store carries the Cowboy and Royal Oak brands. Look in the BBQ accessories aisle. A large bag is like $7. They also have the chimneys and other stuff there. Start with the lump and go from there. You can pick up a small bag of mesquite while your there. Just toss a couple pieces onto the coals to add some more flavor. Don't smoke with 100% mesquite though (been there, done that) just use it like you would spices.
Jeekinz meant to say Hickory instead of mesquite (j/k) It's just a matter of personal taste LT.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote