"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2017, 06:28 PM   #11
Head Chef

lol Thanks Dawglover, I took so long to compose my last post ... just saw yours! Yes I think you told me that before, or I read it somewhere. So size is not the problem... making up my mind is really just want someone to hold my hand for the first time.

Had enough for tonight... heading to Netflix to watch my Midsomer's Murders!

Old 03-18-2017, 06:29 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You'll be fine, dragn! Play with it!

What chips did you get? It's actually more like sawdust, but doesn't take much. I have apple, hickory, mesquite, cherry.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:05 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I believe I read 'somewhere (G only knows where!) that there is a limit to how long to 'smoke' as it will not absorb after xxx length of time. So the above sort of makes sense, no?
Well, yeah... basically. Some meats react to smoke differently than others. Chicken is a smoke sponge, so you need to go easy on the smoke. On the other hand, with a big pork butt, you can do a ten-hour smoke and only get smoke penetration less than an inch deep. That's why pulling the pork works -- you are mixing outside and inside meat. There is no way the smoke is getting to the middle.

I can see ribs working in that smoker. Get some smokey flavor going, and finish in the oven. When I do ribs outside, I use a wood chunks and charcoal mix for the first hour or two, and then just charcoal to finish the cook. You could do the same with the indoor smoker and an oven.

CD
Old 03-19-2017, 01:08 AM   #14
Senior Cook

I'd probably do veggies first. Some brown sugar tossed cauliflower would be a great first smoke.

For meat, I might try some country style boneless pork ribs. Smaller than a butt, but just as tasty. They smoke really well and easily.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:40 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Remember to never light the end with the filter...
Old 03-19-2017, 07:42 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylhanger View Post
I'd probably do veggies first. Some brown sugar tossed cauliflower would be a great first smoke.

For meat, I might try some country style boneless pork ribs. Smaller than a butt, but just as tasty. They smoke really well and easily.
That's a really good idea. I almost bought a pork butt yesterday, but they were all at least eight pounds and I don't have enough room in my freezer for that right now. But country-style ribs, Mmmm.

dragnlaw, while you're at it, put a dish of kosher salt in there. Smoked salt makes a nice finishing salt.

And for a summertime feeling, try this: http://www.achefslifeseries.com/recipes/1
Old 03-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #17
Head Chef

Good Morning All...

You've all made me feel a bit braver now, Thanks!

Vinylhanger, vegies sound good. I have some Brussels at the moment, halve them (think they're big), season c S&P. Toss with bacon when done? Guessing I could even put the bacon in the smoker too. Have a couple of stalks of asparagus.. maybe I'll wrap the bacon around them, put them in the centre and surround with the Brussels. 1/2 Tbsp. chips? don't have many vegies.

Dawglover, I ordered a 1 oz. of Oak, not realizing both sizes came with samples. So I have 2 oz. of Oak and 1 oz. of Hickory. I can certainly see Apple, Cherry and Mesquite in my future.

Princess? filter?

Salmon, Ribs, a Pork Tenderloin all on the list too. But as mentioned. slow and easy - just like cooking...
Old 03-19-2017, 07:58 AM   #18
Head Chef

GG arghhhh another TV/website to explore! there are not enuf hours in the day for me to read all these things. and thanks! love corn, looks delish!

Never had smoked salt, what a neat idea, sounds great!

Tags
smoker