"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 05-24-2007, 04:18 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Doomsday...

So that this will not become a personal conversation I will send you a private message and we can continue our discussion there. It may take a while as right now I am in the middle of building a camp fire to produce wood coals to grill some 2 in. rib-eyes. I will get back to you later.
The picture you posted is not one of ribs, but looks all the world to me to be a bone-in pork loin. You may want to spend some time reading about pork ribs..ie. spare ribs, St Louis cut spare ribs and loin back ribs. (baby back ribs)

Later...I must tend the fire.

Uncle Bob "Keeper of the Coals"

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:54 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thanks, sounds good. As for the pic. It was the closest thing I could get to explain what I have been getting from the store. Ahh, found an image that is closer to what I am talking about. My ribs usually have alot more on the top than this picture is showing, but I think you get the idea now. It appears from reading the blog from that website that this is not needed as it just makes them more uniform by trimming off the top at the gristle area

Old 05-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Now that's ribs as I know them. I still haven't been able to trim off the silverskin or whatever it's call on ribs.

Now, I don't want my ribs falling off the bone. I like to be able to cut through them but have the ability to chew them easily.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Doomsday..

The picture is your basic pork spare rib. Check your private messages.

Miss Jan when I can find time I will PM ya and tell how to remove the membrane. It's easy!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:07 PM   #15
Executive Chef

*kiss kiss*
Old 05-24-2007, 05:12 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Doomsday..

The picture is your basic pork spare rib. Check your private messages.

Miss Jan when I can find time I will PM ya and tell how to remove the membrane. It's easy!!
Tell me to UB - Pleaseeeeeeeee -thanks !
Old 05-24-2007, 05:14 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
Now that's ribs as I know them. I still haven't been able to trim off the silverskin or whatever it's call on ribs.
See the second post in this thread

Smoked ribs...Technical needs!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:57 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Doomsday, does your smoker have dampers, to control the airflow through the smoker? If so, you may need to adjust them during cooking.

Leave the exhaust (probably at the top) fully open. If you close the exhaust, you will have creosote (that black, flaky stuff that deposits on the inside of your fireplace chimney) condensing and depositing on the inside of your smoker, as well as your meat, which may explain the "charred" appearance on your first attempt.

The intake damper is the "throttle", so to speak, for the temperature. It allows oxygen into the smoker. The more oxygen, the more combustion, which results in more smoke and heat at the same time. When I'm smoking in my setup at home, I shut the damper down to barely open, so that my fire smolders, instead of burns actively. If your intake is open, then to much oxygen is getting into your smoker, so the wood actively burns instead of smolders.

Remember, every time you open your smoker, you increase your cooking time by 15 minutes, as a rule-of-thumb.

I usually baste my meat with apple juice every hour. Really, REALLY, lean cuts of meat need added fat. Covering the meat with bacon will do the trick, so I've heard, but I've never actually tried it.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:35 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

No, there are no dampers or exhausts. The smoke comes out around the the lid. I think my problem on my first attempt with the charred meat was due to the 5 pieces of wood that I had in the smoker that actually caught fire and raised the temp inside the smoker to a really high temp. I watched closely on my second attempt and when the wood caught fire it was indeed raising the temp inside the smoker. I think I have that fixed now with soaking the wood longer as when I put those pieces in, it did not catch fire and smoldered nicely and the temp stayed at 225. I also think I just didnt cook it long enough considering I kept opening the lid and checking the temps several times.

I do have one question that nobody had answered yet. With chicken, what internal temp does it need to be to be safe to eat? I have read anywhere from 155 to 165. My meat thermometer says poultry is 175 so I am a little bit confused on that one.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2007, 12:55 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I will say up front I have not read every single post from start to finish so I apologize for any repeats here!

I used to have an electric smoker and I never placed the soaked wood chunks directly on the coils, only around the coils. I usually used about 6 or 7 large chunks and that was all for the entire time. If I smoked a whole "beer butt" chicken that totaled usually 6 hours. The wood chunks will not totally disappear if placed around the coils but it will eventually quit heavily smoking from around the top after awhile. DO NOT lift the lid until you are pretty sure everything is done. If I smoked a pork butt I used around 10 chunks as the pork butt could cook for up to 12 hours.

You do not want to keep adding wood chunks the entire time, which you found out produced a bitter over-smoked taste and nothing else.

I would say your chicken pieces would take around 3or 4 hours or so? I've only cooked a whole chicken, sorry. You want the chicken cooked above the recommended temperature. That recommended temperature is only to assure you that all the bad stuff is cooked away/out. For example, I always cook a pork butt to no less than 190 degrees F. (even though it's done in the high 160's) but I prefer 200 or slightly above. At this point the connective tissue breaks down and the meat just falls apart. Chicken is the same way. For a whole bird I do the "wiggle" method. If the leg wiggles like it will fall off it's done! For chicken pieces I would have to do a google search.

I have never taken a final temp on my poultry. An hour or so before I pulled it out it was close to 162 I think. Just remember that smoked poultry is going to have pink meat near the bone, which doesn't equal "not cooked". It's just a "smoke thing". If you cook to 165 I feel like it will be done. With chicken pieces it might be a bit trickier to check the temp because there won't be a lot of meat before you get to the bone. Take the largest piece out of your smoker and let it rest for about 10 minutes then check for doneness. Completely dry your chicken pieces, rub with softened butter, then rub a rub on.

Are you going to use any kind of rub on your chicken pieces? If you do a search for Beer Butt Chicken I have listed a rub recipe.

Another thing I do that helps the final flavor is I use apple juice in the water pan instead of water.

We'll save brining for another day "wink".

Soaked wood chunks (never use chips) will heat up and produce smoke - dry wood chunks just dry out even more and burn up.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote