Pastrami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My way is take a package of corned beef flat portion and soak it in fresh water for several days changing the water each day. On the day I cook it I remove from the water and dry it off. slather with yellow mustard and coat all sides with ground coriander seed and crushed peppercorns. I put in the smoker at 250* and cook to an internal temp of 170*. I let it cool and slice on an electric meat slicer deli style. Now I don't have a smoker like the OP's but if it produces heat and smoke, it should be easy enough making pastrami.

img_1414322_0_9e3c7f0b29042324a61e1066edfcf9e6.jpg

img_1414322_1_6a81bad2db113cd090f0a31938dcbe79.jpg

img_1414322_2_8b17b683242bd90d6c34fad4f1c537fa.jpg

YUM!

I put my crushed red pepper flakes in a grinder. That way there isn't any hot spots just a nice sprinkling of heat all over.

I use ground ghost pepper by the PINCH in my chili. That stuff is hot!
I have never seen ghost pepper salt but will look for it because it sounds wonderful.

Ghost pepper salt seems to have become popular, at least here in Colorado. We bought an 8 piece sampler of hot seasonings from Savory Spice Shop and there was a 2.5 oz bottle of it in that, then for Christmas my brother-in-law and his wife gave us a 3.5 oz bottle of it from High Plains Spice Shop, as well as a bottle of habeñero salt, so we are set for heat for the foreseeable future.

I put my crushed red pepper flakes in a grinder. That way there isn't any hot spots just a nice sprinkling of heat all over.

We like the hot spots and rarely add pepper flakes while cooking.
I like to add some when its done so you get a pop now and again.
Of course some dishes need it added in the beginning. We like it this way to.

I love pastrami, Montreal smoked meat, corned beef. I just can't eat them very often--I end up having to drink jugs of water because of the salt.

easy but it takles practise.

Ok I have one of these > http://www.charbroil.com/the-big-easy-tru-infrared/the-big-easy-smoker-roaster-and-grill-14101550.html

img_1414837_0_4180ef1e59e62ab6639ee01ff898f333.jpg

How do I go about turning a corned beef into pastrami using it?
this is one of those gadgets that can take a bit of practice, fortunatley i had to use one of these in my first chef role, Kudos delivered which while a good, no actually the best catering company in the UK - and one that liked to have their gadgets likes this didnt like to bother train you on them so after weeks of trial and erros its quite easy. make sure the lid is not totally sealed, that allows better air circulation. thats they only tip you need.

Welcome to DC Tom-Mane. This is a fun place for foodies. Lots of information flowing about, Some heavy discussions, but mostly light. So sit back and enjoy yourself. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom