Pork Rib Methods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2 ways I have yet to try ribs. One is with ribs and saurkraut. The other is Stuffed ribs. 2 slabs ribs with "turkey" stuffing in the middle. I saw the BBQ pit boys do this once. Tied the whole thing together with butcher's twine. They rubbed the ribs before hand. I s'pose one could do one slab cut in half for a smaller size.

Now that's different. I would never turn down stuffing, but I do wonder if I'd like a smoke flavored stuffing.

I've never tried either of those methods. What I normally do is use a dry rub, wrap the ribs in foil, and then oven bake them at 225 until they are tender, but not falling apart. Then I finish them off in a smoker. Why precook in the oven? I just find it gives more control over the doneness. Also, I don't like my ribs overly smoked. I've had friends' ribs that tasted bitter and ashy from too much smoke.

Same here Steve. I am not a fire eater. It is very difficult to eat when you have a gas mask on. I want to taste the flavor of the meat and seasoning. Not smoke. And I like them wet and sticky when they go on my plate. I want to look up and see everyone's face covered with total enjoyment. It gives the cook a sense of a job well done when he/she sees the goodness he/she created on everyone's face. A bunch of smeared faces and a pile of used napkins. :angel:

Last edited:
I do the good old 3 - 2 - 1 on St Louis or a 2 - 2- 1 on Baby Back ribs. Sometimes I marinate my ribs, before applying a rub, maybe. I say it that way because I like to switch it up from time to time. Then I wrap them tightly in Plastic wrap, Place them in the fridge until the next day. The next day I will get my 30 inch Masterbuilt electric smoker Up to temp, after unwrapping the ribs and placing them on tray and bringing that tray out to my table I put up every time I smoke. When smoking, when I reach that middle time constraint, I wrap the ribs in foil, add my moisture, which is in a spray bottle, 80% Apple juice, 20% Apple Cider Vinegar with a few shakes of Tabasco Sauce. Wrapped tightly, now put back in the smoker. The next stage, I fire up my Weber one touch gold, and the ribs get out of the foil and taken to that BBQ to be sauced, many times.

Everyone who has had my ribs, loves them

I spray half apple juice and half water on my ribs thru out the cooking faze. Then sauce a couple layers at the end.

I'm going to try pineapple juice next time, pineapple actually is a good ingredient to tenderize meats.

First thing I do with ribs is remove the membrane. This allows the rub to penetrate both sides and prevents them from "steaming". Then spares get trimmed St. Louis style. Back ribs really don't need trimming. Rub, refrigerate over night and brought to room temp while the Egg or Pit come to temp and start giving off thin blue smoke. I usually mop during cooking, which eliminates the need to wrap. When they "bend" just right they're done. Sauce is on the side, if someone wants it.:yum:

I don't sauce either. I serve it on the side at the table.
I don't wrap mine either.

I also never need to char them. My Weber kettle gril is hot enough that the ribs are nicely colored without any extra grilling.

I am no expert, but have been making them for many years.
Maybe I could take a lesson from Palladini?

I don't foil either.
I usually pull the membranes off but membranes left on always crisp up when smoked in my UDS so it's never an issue.

I usually don't sauce during the cook either but on my last weekend's rib cook I followed Larry Wolfe's honey mustard bbq rib recipe and it was a big hit. I'm definitely trying the recipe again.

Back
Top Bottom