"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 12-19-2006, 03:01 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
Do you not put wood in for the smoke in the electric smokers? It should give you a smoke ring, just as using gas and wood for the smoke will give you a smoke ring. It takes a number of hours to achieve. Charcoal doesn't smoke so wouldn't give a smoke ring.
I will just emphasize again, the high internal temp of 190* is only achieved when the very low cooking temperature is used--and give the melting texture of the meat (butt or shoulder). If you took the temp of the meat over a long period of time, the temp would stay the same (around 160-70) before beginning to rise again, signifying that the collagen has begun to cook/melt.
I did use chunks of Hickory - I NEVER got a smoke ring when using my electric smoker - the first time I smoked on my other one I was doing cartwheels when I saw that beautiful smoke ring!!!!!! I have smoked a pork butt for as many as 12 hours with no smoke ring :-( - it was VERY sad indeed!!!!! But it tasting good! lol

I'm glad you mentioned the 160/170 degree temp - so I AM doing it right with my new smoker - it gets down to about 170 or so, I add more hardwood briquettes - it gets up to around 185-ish. Makes me want to go smoke some pork!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:05 PM   #12
Sous Chef

But you don't say what your roasting temp is. It has to stay below 275* or it will tighten the proteins.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:24 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
Don't let your smoker temperature get over 225 degrees or so - there should be a guage that says "Ideal" - mine does anyway, keep it on the low side of that. Most of the time mine stays just under ideal.

If you want to start smoking meats I highly recommend getting 2 of the digital themometers with the long cords on them. One is for monitoring your smoker temp. the other is for the meat. This way you are no longer guessing. These even come equipped with alarms that will tell if it's getting too warm. There are even wireless models so you can wear it on your belt and be in the house and still know what's going on. They aren't cheap ( starts around $25) but they are well worth the investment. The ones included with the smokers tend to be inaccurate. I had one that was 125 degrees off.

JDP
Old 12-19-2006, 06:16 PM   #14
Senior Cook

It sounds like your cooking a picnic you can cook at 225 to 260, unlike butt this part of the shoulder is very low in internal fat so injecting is a good idea.
this roast will be sliceable at 175 internal and you can take to 190 but it will not be as pullable as the butt cut. Because it is a picnic I would not take to 200 internal because of the fact it does not have the fat and as much connective tissue and will dry out.
Jim
Old 12-19-2006, 07:06 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
It sounds like your cooking a picnic you can cook at 225 to 260, unlike butt this part of the shoulder is very low in internal fat so injecting is a good idea.
this roast will be sliceable at 175 internal and you can take to 190 but it will not be as pullable as the butt cut. Because it is a picnic I would not take to 200 internal because of the fact it does not have the fat and as much connective tissue and will dry out.
Jim
I, personally, do not find any difference in these two parts of the shoulder in their being used for pulled pork. They are both very fat, tough pieces and respond to the low and slow method to get them to the melting tenderness of pulled pork.
In truth, I had cooked pork for pulled pork for MANY years before it even came to my attention of internal temperatures. I did it by time very successfully--8-10 hours at 250* using pork shoulder meat, butt or picnic.
I still do not bother with taking the temp of the meat.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:44 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
I, personally, do not find any difference in these two parts of the shoulder in their being used for pulled pork. They are both very fat, tough pieces and respond to the low and slow method to get them to the melting tenderness of pulled pork.
In truth, I had cooked pork for pulled pork for MANY years before it even came to my attention of internal temperatures. I did it by time very successfully--8-10 hours at 250* using pork shoulder meat, butt or picnic.
I still do not bother with taking the temp of the meat.
I compete and I can tell you that in blind judging that picnics will not score as well as butt, picnic as sliced product is a good choice.
If cooking whole shoulder very little of the picnic would be used as turn-in for judging.
Jim
Old 12-20-2006, 06:55 AM   #17
Sous Chef

I can't argue with a competer. I can say that for home cooks it won't make a hill of beans worth of difference.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:55 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree with CandoCook... under the correct heat/smoke conditions a smoke ring should appear using an electric cooker. However I have never owned an electric cooker so maybe not....
Also, when slow smoking a butt/shoulder Cando is correct again saying that the meat will seem to hover in the 170 range..this is refered to in my area as "the stall"...however waiting a time with patience...the meat will start to climb again to the 190-195 range to the finish line!
Old 12-20-2006, 10:29 AM   #19
Senior Cook

To get smokering with a electric smoker add one peice of charcoal to the pan with the wood chips, you need the nitrites and nitrates given off by the charcoal to produce the smokering.
Jim
Old 12-20-2006, 10:54 AM   #20
Sous Chef

This has been interesting about electric smokers. Here is a site that reviews a number of them with the tip given above also.
The best electric smokers