"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 04-29-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
Head Chef

Pork spare ribs/baby back ribs input needed

What do you think are the most important things to do/know when grilling pork ribs on a GAS GRILL???

I know there are a bunch of people out there who will say that I ruined the ribs by using gas, but that's just another thread.

Everytime I grill ribs, I can't get the juicy tender ribs that I am lookinig for. To be honest, I don't really have a recipe or technique. I just use a dry rub, toss it on the grill and turn to low. I flip when it looks ready (whatever that means).

If you leave pork ribs on the grill at a low setting for a long time (say several hours) does that equal tender ribs? I don't cook mine very long about an hour, I am afraid the ribs will get dry and I'll waste my ribs.

p.s. I 've seen on TV some people put beer or some sort of liquid in a spray bottle and baste using the spray bottle, anyone ever try this?

Old 04-29-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

The meat on ribs isn't the most tender. As a result, you have to cook it low and slow to tenderize it. We're talking 225 F for 2-3 hours. I can't get my gas grill to maintain a temperature that low.

Ribs are usually made with a dry rub - rub it in the day before cooking and let it sit in the fridge. And a mop sauce is used during cooking. It adds flavor and moisture during the cooking process. That's what you saw in the spray bottle.

You could also add smoke from woodchips for an added flavor element.

As an alternative, check out Alton Brown's rib recipe, you can do it in your oven: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._11125,00.html

IF you go to FoodTV's site tha type "ribs" in the recipes window, you'll get a number of choices.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:30 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Moved to appropriate forum.

htc, HH usually does our ribs on charcoal, but what Andy says is also good. HH made ribs recently in the oven using pretty much the techniques Andy recommends and my mom can't stop raving about them.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:56 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Hi HTC... was born/raised in Oregon but not the point of my post. Some thoughts on the subject until Rainee gets here.

I've successfully "Q'ed" babybacks on a Weber three burner gasser successfully. I found babybacks to be much more tender naturally than "normal" spareribs, and do okay at 275 and maybe even 300.. but 300 might be pushing it. Low/Slow is the key to pork and ribs can get dry and stay tough if cooked to hot/fast.

Andy is spot on when he says they need 2-3 hours.. actually I think 4 hours might be necessary... but not all ribs, babyback or otherwise, are created equal.. so you have to check by attempting to bend your rack in half or whatever.. if you can split your rack by bending, they are done. Start checking at about 2 1/2 to 3 hours or a six-pack's worth.. which ever comes first.

On my gas grill, which I gave to my son, I could get 275 with one burner on (the other two off).. and would toss a foil pack of wood chips (your choice.. I used hickory I think).. poke a couple of holes in the to of the foil.

One thing that would also help, although I don't do it now 'cause I use very low/slow charcoal for my ribs.. is to brine them... maybe 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup table salt (or 1/2 cup kosher) in about 2 quarts of water (I estimate).. toss in the refrig for 6 or more hours...

Then use a rub...
this is one idea but there are a bunch of recipes.. probably on this site and on the net:
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon table salt or 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Wrap in saran or other wrap... refrig 6-8 hours or overnight.. the longer the more "spicy" they will be.
Stick your probe (Polder or other.. I use a Maverick remote) in a raw potato with the end sticking out 2 inches or so... set it beside your ribs... that way you can measure you actual grill temperature.. Depending on your gas grill, if your temp is still too high...you might have to prop your lid open 1/4" or so with a wood chip or something..... then watch the temp and be sure it doesn't drop below 200 degrees...
Old 05-05-2005, 03:06 PM   #5
Head Chef

Thanks for the input. I think I will try the oven next time I get ribs!
Old 05-05-2005, 03:16 PM   #6
Executive Chef

htc, you need to cook them longer than a hour. I would set the grill at the lowest setting (and put a oven thermometer on the rack) to see what temp you're cooking at. Also (you can find them at Walmart or your BBQ store) get a little fire box and use wood pellets for smoke flavor. Probably need to cook the ribs 3-6 hours, depending on your temp.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:11 PM   #7

I disagree with those long cooking times for baby back ribs. There's no reason to cook them longer than an hour if you're using indirect heat, less for direct. Spare ribs are a different story.

We make a rub with brown sugar, paprika, cayenne, fresh garlic, S&P ... let it set for 2-3 hours in the fridge ... then grill over indirect heat for about 50 minutes (flipping after 30 minutes), brushing with a sauce the last 5.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:35 PM   #8
Cook

Send a message via MSN to Chef Wil Send a message via Yahoo to Chef Wil
When I have to use a gas grill I use an indirect heat. I heat the whole BBQ on high heat then turn off one side and cook on it. I leave the other side adjusted so I get an even 225 to 250 degree temp and cook for 90 minutes for BBRs. Spare ribs I cook for 3 to 4 hours or longer if they are extra meaty. One thing to remember for tastier more tender ribs is to pull the membrane off the inside of the ribs. This will block the rub on the smoke from entering the meat. No, I don't think it dries the meat more than leaving it on.

For a rub I use
1 cup sweet paprika (Not Spanish)
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated garlic
1/2 cup granulated onion
2 tbs thyme
2 tbs basil
2 tbs tarragon
1 tb black pepper
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp black pepper
Blend all ingredients and season liberally on both sides of the ribs with it to taste.
Place covered loosely in the fridge over night or at least 4 hours. Grill in a cool covered grill or oven (225* to 250*F.) for 90 minutes for BBR and 2 to 3 hours for a rack of SR.

I will use 1/4 cup of the rub and mix it with 1/2 cup malt vinegar and 3/4 cup whiskey for a mop and finish with my homemade BBQ sauce.

If you are looking for a BBQ for seafood try 1/4 cup rub mixed with 1/4 cup white wine and 3 tbs evoo.

I don't use any salt in my ribs, instead I salt the meat as it cooks, it keeps the outside of the meat a little more moist.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:20 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Any rib, to get it tender will need to cook longer than hour.

We use only babybacks in competition, we cook them at about 225 to 250 and we cook them 4-6 hours. They will be tender, but not falling off the bone.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainee
Any rib, to get it tender will need to cook longer than hour.

We use only babybacks in competition, we cook them at about 225 to 250 and we cook them 4-6 hours. They will be tender, but not falling off the bone.
I've always considered baby backs to be fairly tender to begin with, just like tenderloin. Lean cuts cook quickly. Slow, low cooking is fine, but not necessary with baby backs.