"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2018, 10:48 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Rib marinade/Basting sauce question/recipe - suggestions welcome

Strange question coming from a vegetarian, but here it goes.

Found and tried this recipe for vegetarian spare ribs ( dont ask).

They didnt come out that bad.
Definitely a workable recipe and can potentially be pretty good with some improvement.

The sauce I used to baste it prior to grilling was fare, but definitely this is the make or break part of this recipe.

So, my question is , When making ribs on the BBQ, what kind of sauce or whatever do you baste your ribs with prior to hitting the grill?

Think meat, not vegetarian. I want to know what you guys use on the ' real thing', and ill be the judge if it will work on what i got.

Thanks in advance.

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:14 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I don’t usually baste my ribs. We like them “dry”. However, when I use a sauce I buy Bullseye Original.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:22 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Strange question coming from a vegetarian, but here it goes.

Found and tried this recipe for vegetarian spare ribs ( dont ask).

They didnt come out that bad.
Definitely a workable recipe and can potentially be pretty good with some improvement.

The sauce I used to baste it prior to grilling was fare, but definitely this is the make or break part of this recipe.

So, my question is , When making ribs on the BBQ, what kind of sauce or whatever do you baste your ribs with prior to hitting the grill?

Think meat, not vegetarian. I want to know what you guys use on the ' real thing', and ill be the judge if it will work on what i got.

Thanks in advance.
I like Stubbs for marinating, choose your flavor, and StubbsMopping Sauce to baste.

You do realize, don’t you, that your question is like spraying a wasps nest with a hose? Everyone who considers themselves a barbecue afficionado will have a different answer, and a thousand reasons why everyone else is wrong! Just for the record, I’m NOT a BBQ aficionado!

This is gonna be a loooooong thread, I’ll wager! All the better, it’s great to see different POVs!

I do wonder, though, what a vegetarian subs for the ribs!
Old 07-13-2018, 06:18 AM   #4
Master Chef

I use a dry rub for ribs. I sometimes use a "mop" which is some of the unused rub mixed with apple cider, heated on the stove and kept warm. If your choice in sauce contains sugar, you should never apply it until the ribs are done and only as a light glaze. If you apply it too soon, it will burn.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:31 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

We don't sauce ribs on the grill or smoker because DH likes them dry. I like sauce, so I serve it on the side. I've been making the Serious Eats recipe for several years. Last year I made this cherry barbecue sauce because I love cherries and fruit goes great with pork.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...cue-sauce.html

http://foodinjars.com/2016/07/sweet-...arbecue-sauce/
Old 07-13-2018, 06:46 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
I
This is gonna be a loooooong thread, I’ll wager! All the better, it’s great to see different POVs!
Which is exactly why I asked the question

Just curious what all you good folks have to say, which will give me some ideas and a good starting point.

As far as what vegetarians use for ribs, although its not going to sound appetizing, they're made from vital wheat gluten mixed with a bunch of spices ( smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder among other things to a semi meat - like (at best ) texture. In reality, its basically going to taste like whatever sauce / glaze ... I do the final grilling with. By far, its not an accurate imitation, but , it could follow the same flavor profiles you meat eaters have, which is what Im looking for.

Some of the better vegetarian meat imitation cooking ideas Ive gotten over the years have not been from long time vegetarian cooks , but from people who eat everything ( including meat). What tastes good to many lifetime vegetarians is only good compared to the crap they normally eat ( and sometimes it is good). But, if they've never experienced eating meat, then they are clearly at a disadvantage when trying to mimic something.

And Im not talking about vegetarian dishes that are vegetarian just because they have no meat products, im talking more about the dishes that are trying to pretend to be meat substitute dishes .

And Im not naive enough to think its going to be exactly like its meat counterpart. There have been vert few items Ive eaten over the past 30 + years that have come pretty close ( These new impossible burgers, beyond meat sausages, leanies hot dogs, meatballs from Clovers Food Lab in Boston all have been very good examples of being really close). Im just looking to produce something with a similar flavor profile that isn't disgusting and has a decent consistency (consistency is often the downfall for vegetarian meat imitations).
Old 07-13-2018, 07:19 AM   #7
Master Chef

I can understand the taste factor, but what about texture? When it comes to ribs, most of us are taking a tough cut of pork and trying to get it to a point where it is "pull off the bone" and in some cases, fall off the bone. How would the texture of what you are making compare, if it matters to you?
Old 07-13-2018, 07:30 AM   #8
Executive Chef

It would matter if I could find a way to duplicate it, but I cant ( or at least not at this point), so Im more interested in the flavor along with a semi meat consistency.

Clearly, there is no bone ( although in the past, ive been to restaurants that tried to stick something in there to resemble a bone to give a similar experience. In reality, it was just a poor attempt but Ill give them an A for effort. Imitation meats have done a decent job duplicating consistency on processed meat things like meat balls, chicken nuggets, ground beed and burgers ( im using this as a blanket statement, as not all brands do a good job, but there are those that are coming close. As fart as unprocessed meats such as chicken, steaks, ribs ..., the attempts are poor at best. That being said, back in the day when i ate meat, its all the process crap that i liked , such as the meatballs, tacos, chili, hot dogs, hamburgers ..., so from my personal point of view, i dont feel like im missing out on much.

Therefore, its more the taste im looking for with an acceptable consistency. The consistency I can take care of, as im more experienced than most in this forum at dealing with the vegetarian attempts at meat. But, as far as the taste goes ( not talking about the meat itself, but the rubs, glazes, marinades...) Ive never had a reason to experiment in these areas until recently. So now its kinda like a whole new world of exploration for me, which is exciting. Im kinda reinventing the wheel for my own personal experience.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:48 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I can understand the taste factor, but what about texture? When it comes to ribs, most of us are taking a tough cut of pork and trying to get it to a point where it is "pull off the bone" and in some cases, fall off the bone. How would the texture of what you are making compare, if it matters to you?
To answer directly to your point ( I know I can get long winded and go off tangent, see last post). For me personally, getting the exact texture or pull off the bone experience, doesnt matter. As long as the consistency is pleasing and acceptable ( a little bit of bite, chewy ( not mushy like many imitations) Id consider it a success.

Here I go off tangent again . Many vegetarians are kidding themselves when they think the texture and or taste is right on. very very few products come even close. Got to go in with an open mind and just judge it on its basics, Does it taste good and Is the texture culinary pleasing. As long as the answer to both of these are ' yes', then who cares.

On the other hand, if someone is forced into giving up meat for whatever reason ( dietary, health...), then Im sure they would be a lot more serious about getting the overall consistency and off the bone experience as close to right on as possible. This is one of the problems non vegetarians face . After their first bite, one of the first responses is ' This doesnt tase anything like a ......(fill in the blank). Im more from the school of does it taste good. I dont care too much about it being exactly what its supposed to be. But, id like it to have a similar taste profile, so at least I can experience that.

Ill shut up now, or Ill never stop typing.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:10 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Im more from the school of does it taste good. I dont care too much about it being exactly what its supposed to be. But, id like it to have a similar taste profile, so at least I can experience that.
There are so many different flavor profiles for barbecue, that I think it really depends on what you find pleasing. Do you prefer something vinegary, or slightly sweet, or with a mustard tang, or...

I think (and remember, I’m no expert) that a really important part of any barbecue flavor profile is smoke. Will your faux ribs readily absorb the smoke flavor? Will you be able to cook them long enough with that purpose in mind? Barbecuing is usually a slow process, as opposed to grilling, which is usually pretty quick - hamburgers and steaks are grilled, pork butts, beef briskets, ribs are barbecued. To my mind, although both techniques take the smoke into consideration, barbecuing needs the smoke as an integral part of the the flavor profile. If whatever you’re cooking won’t stand up to a long, slow, smoky cook, you might want to consider using some liquid smoke.

I enjoy reading your posts, and find them eloquent and thought provoking. Don’t worry about typing too much!

Tags
marinade, recipe, sauce