"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 07-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Ribs, Hondo Act III, and Silver Skin

Finally completed my third effort last weekend in the Hondo, cooking 2 racks of ribs. All this in the last year. I know, that sounds bad, but my first effort in this pit was so dismal I was ready to return it to the store.

For those familiar, this is an economical bbq pit w/ separate firebox. The pit requires modifications which are well published on the internet & which I performed. Except this time I undid 1 of the mods, pulling out the aluminum flashing which brought the exhaust pipe back up above the cooking grates.

The ribs pulled back away from the bone successfully & generally looked really good. And parts of the ribs were very good.

I am curious about the comments I've seen in other threads about removing the silver skin? Is that the same as the skin all over the backside of the ribs? How would you remove it? Wouldn't all the ribs fall apart if you did?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Executive Chef

The membrane (skin) can either be removed or left on. Some people like the snap and cheweyness of the membrane, other don't. Some think that if you remove the membrane you could wind up with dry ribs. I have not found that to be true.

I usually remove it. If I can't get a good grip on it, I just leave it on. No big deal.

To remove it: Insert a paring knife just under the membrane to get it started to remove. Use a dry paper towel to help get a good grip on it and peel it off.

It is the skin-like part on the bone side of the ribs. And "No" the ribs do not fall apart with it removed.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Thanks !!

Thanks, I've been intrigued w/ that since I first read it. I suspect it might help the seasoning/rub to penetrate more, hope so anyway.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Yes. If I'm applying a rub I try my best to remove it. For best results, let the ribs sit for a few hours with the rub applied.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Most experienced pit masters suggest removing the membrane on the bone side of the ribs to allow marinades, seasoning..including smoke from flavoring woods, rubs, etc to penetrate the meat. Others opt not to remove it. IMO removal is the wisest course of action...I start in the middle, make a slight incision in the membrane, get it started (think getting a piece of scotch/cellophane tape started) then use a paper towel, cloth rag, or pliers to peel the membrane off. I prefer cat fish skinning pliers. No! The ribs will not fall apart. It's a quick and easy process requiring 1 1/2 minutes tops per slab of ribs...Less time than it took to type this post!!

Have Fun!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Yep, what Jeeks said.... and UB.
The last couple of rack I cooked I left it on, mostly because the butcher had scored that skin with a knife. First time I ever saw that, and that would have made it a pain in the butt to peel off, so I didn't even try.
My panel of judges (me) could care less
Old 07-07-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Head Chef

I'm a big fan of dry ribs, so I also remove the membrane. This lets my rubpenatrate better I beleive. I usually rub mine down the night before cooking.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #8
Head Chef

I always remove the membrane too, so the flavors from the rub and smoke will penetrate from both sides.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Question Pics Anyone?

Does anyone have pics illustrating removal?
Old 07-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugger View Post
Does anyone have pics illustrating removal?