"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 11-16-2005, 01:04 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Roasting a turkey in Weber BBQ

I'm seriously considering getting a Weber BBQ for hubby this Christmas, but not sure of the sizes. They didn't have any in stock at our local BBQ store, but I did come home with a fancy 28 page brochure.

Weber has the 47cm and 57cm varieties. So I'm just wondering if anyone here has roasted a turkey in a weber, and if so, what size do you have?

Old 11-16-2005, 07:06 AM   #2
Head Chef

Aussie, I have made a turkey in a weber several times and it comes out great. It has a great smokey taste and golden brown and moist. I don't do anything fancy and I just set the turkey in a regular cake pan with a little water and baste it a few times toward the end. I do set the turkey on a metal trivit in the cake pan but there are times I forget that too.The weber is great for all meats.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:14 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I have never done it myself, but when my grandparents moved to FL in '85 we spend Thanksgiving with them down there. They made the turkey on the grill (not sure if it was a Webber or not) and it was the best turkey I have ever tasted.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
Head Chef

Turkey on a Webber sounds great!

As for the size, well, I'm a firm believer in manifest destiny grilling. Your meals will expand to fill the natural boundries of your grill, so I'd vote for the big one!

John

(2 gas grills, 1 smoker, a Smokey Joe, and counting....)

John

PS - Hey, do I get any bonus points for actually using the term "manifest destiny" on a cooking forum?
Old 11-16-2005, 10:19 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I have done a turk on the weber, using indirect heat, and wonderful woodchips for great smoke flavor. I would get the big one for sure. And of course, replace the coals every hour...and I don't add cold charcoal, but already lighted and going charcoal...better results.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:48 AM   #6
Master Chef

HB has done several turkeys on the Weber...he recommends the larger size grill. He does it over indirect heat using the same method as Robo, and highly recomends brining the turkey for 24 hours first, to keep it juicy. He also says to keep the temp about 350 degrees, and to always control the heat using the bottom vents. Never close the top vents or the smoke will give the turkey a bitter taste. A 12 lb. turkey is just about the right size.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:04 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I do that every Christmas,and I really don't have anything to add.I agree with Constance a 12lber is a very good size to work with.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:58 PM   #8
Head Chef

Aussie Girl,

I assume you are talking about a Weber charcoal kettle, as opposed to a Weber gas grill? If so, yes, the larger kettle is the one to get.

If your husband is serious about smoking ribs, poultry and large cuts of meats, you should consider a Weber Smokey Mountain which is a compact, bullet-shaped smoker with two cooking levels. Very easy to use for long cooks.

The problem may be in finding one "down under".

Lee
Old 11-17-2005, 12:24 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

John - manifest destiny is definately an American term, but yes, one bonus point.

I'm with you Thumper, I just love the 'unique' flavour of the Weber, so will more than likely be keeping it simple.

QSis - I checked the brochure and the Smokey Mountain is available here. Our personal friend, the Butcher has an industrial size smoke-house and we can have our meat smoked anytime.

Neither hubby nor I have any experience with a weber, but have tasted the results from our friends efforts. I know I'm looking forward to learning.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:10 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Aussie Girl,

I would recommend getting the Smokey Mountain.
Been using one for two years now and they are fantastic.
Cooking a turkey in a kettle is more complicated because you
have to keep adding charcoal and temperature control can
be a bit tricky for the beginer.
With the Smokey Mountain, You just fill the charcoal bowl
once and forget it.
To learn all about the Smokey Mountain, visit this site..
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/