Saturday's 'Team DC' Pork Butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
(my first post went MIA for some reason)

Using tips from deifferent members on the forum, the pork butt is underway.:chef:

6 am I got the smoker started with charchoal, and a apple juice filled foil pan placed in the smoking chamber.

About 6:45am the shoulder went on with only a coat of OO and S&P.

From 7-9am, I had a temperature dillemma. The guage on the smoker was off 100 deg. compared to 5 other thermometers I had. Two bucks and a 3/8" drill bit later...VOILA, it was fixed.

I threw on a rack of spares to compare the different fuels. This is my first "Low & Slow" with solely briquettes.

so far so good, pics to follow.;)

How is it going Jeekinz? We are smoking butt at the same time. Man, I am anxious!

Are you finding it difficult getting the temerature up to the 225-250 range? I am struggling with it, so far my only solution has been feed tons of charcoal. I am almost though an 18 lb bag!

It will be fun to compare pictures :)

As I was saying...temperature dillema...And this was AFTER I tried adjusting it.....

img_451146_0_cd12fa462b1b50d1f6f79726e92b8f45.jpg

So here's what I started with. The butcher left another piece for the Mutt. (why was that in there anyway?)

img_451149_0_2f64e3bbf3a760be556473886994c5ce.jpg

Basically, this is what the SFB looked like ALL DAY. I went through one and a half 18lb. bags of briquettes. (should I rant now?....OK)

I kept a steady temp of 215-250 (250 tops) for 14 hours. The highest temp I achieved was 184 degrees in the shoulder. (see the remote probe in the pics)

img_451150_0_18025cad1356b9d398899041dfee6675.jpg

Jeekinz said:
As I was saying...temperature dillema...And this was AFTER I tried adjusting it.....

img_451152_0_cd12fa462b1b50d1f6f79726e92b8f45.jpg

So, in the dead of winter when you thought you were maintaining 225*, the actual temperature was 125* or there about?;)

I decided to make my own BBQ sauce. After reading a few recipes on the web, I just came up with my own concoction. It included the following (sorry no measurements, I just threw the junk in the pot:LOL: )

Ketchup; whole grain mustard, worster-whatever sauce, tabasco, cayenne, salt, pepper, Woeber's (ran out of fresh horseradish), bourbon, molasses, brown sugar, apple juice, cider vinegar, onion and garlic.

Uncle Bob would be proud....

img_451153_0_8ac2b39eaaf3943a001c0e984a3c660c.jpg

So.......the BBQ sauce was awesome (it could be all that bourbon talking tho).

Why did the meat never get to 200-205?

{{{CRASH}}}, I feel your PAIN!!! That SFB loaded up with ash. To make a long story short, it was no easy task getting rid of that ash. I was soooo full, it was smouldering the coals!

I threw some mesquite chunk on for an hour which gave a nice taste to the ribs.

I removed the butt just before posting the pics. It's wrapped up in foil, going in the fridge. I'm going to have to put it in the oven for a while tomorrow.

Last edited:
swinchen said:
How is it going Jeekinz? We are smoking butt at the same time. Man, I am anxious!

Are you finding it difficult getting the temerature up to the 225-250 range? I am struggling with it, so far my only solution has been feed tons of charcoal. I am almost though an 18 lb bag!

It will be fun to compare pictures :)

I went though 1 and 1/2 bags.:huh:

I hope yours came out good!!!!:pig: :pig: :pig:

Crash said:
So, in the dead of winter when you thought you were maintaining 225*, the actual temperature was 125* or there about?;)

No. It was set too low, so I was overcooking the food. I played around with it this morning trying to adjust it, but to no avail. What a piece....:mad: !

The guage I got from Lowes was two bucks. I really reccommend picking one up.

Jeekinz, that's why I'm a "log-burner". Briquettes produce to much massively bulky ash for me. Wood produces ash, but it doesn't mass as much, and compacts down nicely.

The next time I smoke something, I may do the same photo-rama, to show you my process. Hopefully, that will be Monday.

Sorry that we experienced the same problem man. Talk about a downer eh? Let us know how it came out when you finish it up.

Sam

Sam,

I cooked mine in the oven today for 3 hrs at 270. I let it sit, then pulled it. It actually came out pretty good. I have alot left over in the freezer.

I love good Q, but to waste a WHOLE day (and we all know how much those free days are worth)...I think it will be a once or twice a year event.

Back
Top Bottom