Shrinking Burger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I usually make mine bigger than the bun too and add stuff like egg, bread crumbs, steak sauce, sage, oregano, garlic powder and seasoned pepper. Makes them really tasty and they can shrink without any problems of them being smaller than the bun.
I like more hamburger than bread, any way.

I buy the frozen burger patties and can't figure out why bread companies still make
hamburger buns Wimpy sized (Popeye) or huge. The patty is too big for the standard
Wimpy buns and too small for the huge hamburger buns. Jeesh.

I buy the frozen burger patties and can't figure out why bread companies still make
hamburger buns Wimpy sized (Popeye) or huge. The patty is too big for the standard

The same reason you get 10 hot dogs and 8 buns... :ROFLMAO:

Yeah - you would think the bakers and the frozen patty makers would coordinate and get the sizes right. But, I would guess the bakers are making the standard size - the patty makers are the ones at fault. Of course, hot dogs and their buns were not the same size - the weiner makers had to make their doggies a little longer to fit the bun to get that "bun length" dog.

I bet you really find yourself in a quandry when you buy a package of 10 hot-dog weiners - and a package of buns only has 8 buns! :ermm:

Last edited:
Yeah - you would think the bakers and the frozen patty makers would coordinate and get the sizes right. But, I would guess the bakers are making the standard size - the patty makers are the ones at fault. Of course, hot dogs and their buns were not the same size - the wiener makers had to make their doggies a little longer to fit the bun to get that "bun length" dog.

Where we live, we can buy a number of bun sizes for burgers and dogs, so the size of the patty/wiener is not a concern.:lucky:

So why do my burgers not shrink as much then GB? I thought the thumbprint thing was about keeping the burgers level so they seemed to fill the bun better. Am I out to lunch?

No, you're not "out to lunch". This method does work. In fact, I just recently heard of it via Rachael Ray. And it DOES work. And no - I myself haven't been shrinking. I have, however, only used it with turkey and chicken burgers so far. Perhaps it performs differently with beef.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom