"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 02-19-2007, 01:35 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Served well done? Interesting.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:04 PM   #12
Master Chef

Nope - cooked to order. And cooked PERFECTLY to order, I might add. I ask for it medium-rare, & that's exactly what I get.

It just isn't grilled in the usual sense.

Next time I'm there I'll try to find out how they cook it, because it's absolutely fabulous.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:46 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Skirt steak is what I call bavette. It is fibrous, but delicious. Tenderness sacrificed in the interest of taste.

I either served it with shallots fried in butter or else as a pepper steak (coarse black pepper pounded in with a rubber mallet, white wine added to the fry pan at the end, then cream).

Is there a difference between skirt steak and hanger steak?
I was under the opinion that it was one and the same thing.

Best regards,
Alex R.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:35 PM   #14
Sous Chef

[quote=BreezyCooking]Nope - cooked to order. And cooked PERFECTLY to order, I might add. I ask for it medium-rare, & that's exactly what I get.

It just isn't grilled in the usual sense.

Oh, of course. That isn't what I would call "braise"==cooking in liquid. Those cuts do need to be cooked to order, and not well done, was sort of what I was trying to say.
Could be pan fried or whatever.
Hanger steak is VERY popular in Europe/France. Good bistro fare.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:37 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Is there a difference between skirt steak and hanger steak?
I was under the opinion that it was one and the same thing.

Best regards,
Alex R.[/quote]

If you go back a few posts to my last one there is an explanation of the 3 steaks. Hanger and skirt are pretty close but still a little different. We get them seldom to never here in the US (hanger). I imagine the restaurant trade has snapped them up.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:07 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
If it is either overcooked and not cut across the grain, it will be tough. It is not a tender piece of meat--chewy, but really really good flavor. I fix it as a steak on a plate often.

Can it be prepped and cooked like London Broil? Julia Child once made a stuffed flank steak. She cooked it on the stove and made a gravy to it.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:24 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexR
Skirt steak is what I call bavette. It is fibrous, but delicious. Tenderness sacrificed in the interest of taste.
Alex R.
Thanks Alex - THAT'S IT!!! The bistro I mentioned doesn't call it "Steak Frites", it's "Bavette"!! I knew I had something wrong there.

Regardless, it's absolutely delicious. Like I said, to the point where while I've tasted (& loved) everything my husband has ordered, I so far haven't been able to bring myself to order anything else when we're there.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:10 PM   #18
Senior Cook

A hanger steak is part of diaphragm a V shaped muscle the attaches from the last rib and the loin. A skirt or flank steak could be sub for a hanger if needed.

Jim
Old 02-19-2007, 09:04 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
Can it be prepped and cooked like London Broil? Julia Child once made a stuffed flank steak. She cooked it on the stove and made a gravy to it.
Stuffed flank steak is a whole 'nother thing. Stuffed, rolled, and braised. then sliced across the pinwheel for presentation.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Skirt Steak prep and cooking

As mentioned above, quick cooking over high heat is imperative, whether grilling, as I usually do, or using a well seasoned cast iron skillet. My preferred method of preparation is to marinate the skirt steak for at least two or three hours in a Spanish marinade called Mojo Criollo. You can usually find this in the ethnic foods area of your supermarket, and a popular brand is by Badia. I use the Kirby brand that I purchase by the gallon from my friends at the Cuban Food Market: cubanfoodmarket dot com. By the way, if you like Cuban style black beans (Frijoles Negros), buy the El Ebro brand, also available from Cuban Food Market. They go great with some rice along with the skirt steaks. If you get them, empty two standard sized cans of beans into a saucepan to heat up gently, and add about a quarter cup each of olive oil and vinegar to them. Top with chopped or grated onion as a garnish and have a great meal!