"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats
Old 02-05-2007, 09:31 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Skirt Steak

Have any of you every done skirt steak that you've been happy with? I love the way Uncle Julio's does theirs, but the employees are understandably sworn to secrecy. I've tried a couple of times and the flavor has been great, but it has been tough. I've read that marinating helps, but I would prefer to alter the natural flavor as little as possible (salt, pepper, and smoke).

Any suggestions on tenderizing? Would grilling or smoking at low temp for a long time help? Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!

sirsmokesalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
Skirt steak is a lot like flank steak I believe. Which means that you need a high heat for 1-2 minutes per side and slice it thinly against the grain. You mentioned you don't want to marinade it to keep it's natural flavor but then you talk about smoking it which defininitely imparts it's own flavor. I like to make lime marinade with cilantro, chili powder, some salt and pepper. Let that sit for 4-12 hours then put on a very hot grill. Alton Brown made a version of this buy placing it directly on the coals. You have to use lump hardwood charcoal for this though. I made it and it turned out great. Again the main key is to thinly slice it against the grain.

Recipes : Skirt Steak : Food Network

Here is the recipe

JDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
Sous Chef
All that JDP said. Skirt steak is an absolutely delicious piece of meat that has really gotten pricey because of its use for fajitas.
You need to cook it fast and hot and slice thinly across the grain, like a London Broil or flank steak.
I marinate in a teriyaki type of sauce for flavor. It just enhances the meat to us. But an herb marinade will work also. These marinades are for flavor--not tenderizing. Tenderizing beef really only happens with papain style marinades and to me, it just turns the meat surface to mush.
Slicing correctly is the answer.
Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
Master Chef
Skirt stake comes from the front part of the cow. Part that gets most work done. Thus just like the rest of the front part meat it is tought. Marinading and quick high temps cooking is a must.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
Senior Cook
Agreed with all above. The lime/cilantro marinade sounds great!
eatsOats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:11 AM   #6
Sous Chef
Skirt steak actually comes from the diaphragm of the cow. It is highly marbled with fat, making it moist and flavorful when cooked rare and sliced across the grain. The grain of the skirt steak runs across its width whereas the grain of flank steak runs its length.

Skirt steak is the long and flat piece of meat that comes from the cow’s diaphragm muscle. Since it’s marbled with fat, it has tremendous flavor. Skirt steak is a favorite cut for Fajita’s.
Flank Steak is generally leaner and more tender than a skirt steak. It’s ideal for marinating, but if overcooked becomes tough.
Hanger Steak, also part of the diaphragm, hangs between the rib and loin of the cow.
This cut is becoming increasingly popular for it’s flavor. It’s generally a tender cut and is great for marinating and quick grilling. I remember my father, a butcher all of his life, would call this cut of meat the "butcher's steak" because butchers would keep it for themselves rather than sell it!
Old 02-18-2007, 10:15 AM   #7
Executive Chef
My mom used to cook this when we were kids.

Found it tough to eat at times.
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #8
Master Chef
I have a recipe for skirt steak that I love, it sounds over the top, but it really compliments the steak nicely. You say Uncle Juilos... you in Texas??? I LOVE Uncle Js!!!! PM if you would like the recipe!
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #9
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by Corey123
My mom used to cook this when we were kids.

Found it tough to eat at times.
If it is either overcooked and not cut across the grain, it will be tough. It is not a tender piece of meat--chewy, but really really good flavor. I fix it as a steak on a plate often.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:34 AM   #10
Master Chef
We have a little French bistro place here that serves such great skirt or hanger steak that I have yet to order anything else there yet - lol!!

It's served in one piece, unsliced, & is extraordinarily tender & flavorful. Definitely not grilled - I'm thinking braised perhaps. You get a choice of sauces - Red Wine, Bearnaise, & one or two others that escape me at the moment, & the fries (it's billed under "Steak Frites") have to be the best I've ever tasted. Think pale McDonald's-type fries - but super crispy & hot outside - tender inside. A green salad accompanies it as well, & it's one of the best lunches to be had around here - both quality-wise & value-wise.

Just after typing that I'm thinking we'll have to stop by there really soon - lol!!!

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote