Smoked Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnnyg

Assistant Cook
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] I have an offset smoker & have about an years experience smoker "Q" on it.

I have had various results.
Today I have a 5lb butt & an 8 lb shoulder on it.

I have a charcoal base, with 6 month cured hickory wood on it.
I put both pieces of meat on at 12:30pm today.
My goal is to have super tender & juicy pork for tomorrow's dinner, and pulled pork (with the butt) tonight for a snack.
I have held my smoker at 225 - 250 since 12:30 (about 4 hours), what is the best thing for me to do from here?

I an thinking about pulling the both pieces off about 7-8pm tonight.
I would like to snack on the butt then. Then put the shoulder in the oven in the morning for about 5 hours (wrapped in foil) to be ready for Easter dinner about 1:30pm.

Thoughts?
Comments?
[/FONT]

mudbug said:
HH says to ask how many six-packs have you opened since 12:30? It should take a six-pack and a half to do all of it.

About six beers......I think...not real sure, 'cause i've dipped into a little of the local homebrew white liquor as well

:wacko:

are we in the same time zone? It's about 5 pm here. HH says the 5-pounder should be about done. The shoulder will take a couple more beers. Keep the temp at 225 to 230, he says.

yep

5:00ish here too

still have an internal temp of 140-ish on the 5lber though

HH has gone upstairs to nap (alone, Alix....) before the thundering hordes arrive so I can't ask him anymore questions, johnnyg.

I can tell you that HH usually doesn't go by internal temps. You could always pull a hunk offa the 5-pounder to taste test. Sorry I can't be more help. HH does all the Q around here, so I am flying blind now.

Back
Top Bottom