Smoked Protein with Zero Cholesterol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thinking of tofu as a meat substitute is bound to lead to unappealing recipes. Rather, just think of it as an interesting, nutritious and healthy food that is very flexible in taking on any tastes you want to infuse into it.

BTW I prefer firm or extra firm tofu, and I like the ways of cooking it that firms it up. I'm not so fond of soft tofu, although that might be good in spreads and dips.

Last edited:
Me either, but...I press overnight to get most of the moisture out, slice 1/2 inch thick and then marinade in a soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, ginger, garlic blend and slow bake. Quite tasty! It sucks up other flavors very well. You could even try BBQ sauce.

Thanks again for the suggestion I am starting the process. I am going to do the press, marinade and instead of baking I will smoke the slices this time. I might have made an error because I sliced first and then press rather then press the whole piece and slice. Time will tell.:LOL:

img_1144160_0_9341586a4805204e2bc70a5390eebdf8.jpg

img_1144160_1_160e261b62287fa9f8e04faf31a1381a.jpg

Thanks again PrincessFiona60

Thanks again for the suggestion I am starting the process. I am going to do the press, marinade and instead of baking I will smoke the slices this time. I might have made an error because I sliced first and then press rather then press the whole piece and slice. Time will tell.:LOL:

Thanks again PrincessFiona60

Six of one, half dozen of the other. I don't think it will make that much difference. I hope you enjoy it.

Six of one, half dozen of the other. I don't think it will make that much difference. I hope you enjoy it.

No doubt in my mind that your idea to marinade the tofu will make it better so I know it will be more enjoyable. Thanks

As far slicing or not, my logic sort of says, if I slice it I before pressing I should get more liquid out in a shorter time. What do y'all think?

No doubt in my mind that your idea to marinade the tofu will make it better so I know it will be more enjoyable. Thanks

As far slicing or not, my logic sort of says, if I slice it I before pressing I should get more liquid out in a shorter time. What do y'all think?

That just might work! Get it to the smoker that much faster!

No, I don't see that logic. You stack a weight on the whole piece, it increases the internal pressure, and water is forced out the edges. Probably if you get the same pounds/sq.in. on all the pieces separately it could work the same. If you press it all in a single piece then all the tofu will be subjected to identical pressure, where it seems like it would be harder to get them all equally pressed after slicing, particularly since the slices may not be uniform. The unpressed tofu might not be uniform either.

It is easier to slice after the water has been squeezed out because it is firmer, and you're more likely to get evenly sliced pieces too.

Also, all the recipes I've seen say (1) press, (2) cut, (3) marinate, (4) cook.

Just remember that tofu has very little taste. For it to be appealing it has to be cooked or served in some way that adds flavor, or otherwise it will be bland and tasteless.

What I mean to say is that tofu comes "blah." It's going to stay "blah" until you do something to change that.

Anybody who has doubts about tofu who has Whole Foods Market available should buy some baked tofu appetizer from their deli section (buy a sampling if they have more than one kind). That could serve as an example of how tofu can be cooked to have an interesting taste. (I suggest serving it at room temperature.)

There's lots of baked tofu recipes. Here's a few I found in my notes:

Asian Style Savory Baked Tofu Recipe - Food.com - 81284
baked tofu -AND- substitute for evaporated milk?
Vegetarian + Vegan Recipes - Soy - Tofu - Thai Baked Tofu Triangles
Baked tofu

Last edited:
No, I don't see that logic. You stack a weight on the whole piece, it increases the internal pressure, and water is forced out the edges. Probably if you get the same pounds/sq.in. on all the pieces separately it could work the same. If you press it all in a single piece then all the tofu will be subjected to identical pressure, where it seems like it would be harder to get them all equally pressed after slicing, particularly since the slices may not be uniform. The unpressed tofu might not be uniform either.

It is easier to slice after the water has been squeezed out because it is firmer, and you're more likely to get evenly sliced pieces too.

Also, all the recipes I've seen say (1) press, (2) cut, (3) marinate, (4) cook.
To see if there would be a difference I took another package of Tofu and pressed it without slicing with the same weight.

Took the Tofu, both sliced and non-sliced, from the fridge this morning and and the slice feels firmer but not by much but to close to call. No difference to me.

Based on my actual results I have to go along with PrincessFiona60 statement "Six of one, half dozen of the other. I don't think it will make that much difference."

Will marinade in a soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, ginger, garlic blend per PrincessFiona60 recipe with a couple added flavors.

Sounds like a good marinade, very close to what I might have picked. In fact it's been too long since I cooked it, you could even have the exact recipe I used. :)

Using PrincessFiona60 recipe with a couple added ingredients.
img_1144524_0_c619aae2e9f0370453dc63c8f4939e60.jpg

In it goes for about 4 hours or so.
img_1144524_1_bdf6a0aef0ff3a5af57916a06e90b38c.jpg

This is one package and we plan to use the other package of tofu for something else.

Last edited:
img_1144607_0_c619aae2e9f0370453dc63c8f4939e60.jpg

img_1144607_1_bdf6a0aef0ff3a5af57916a06e90b38c.jpg

This is one package and we plan to use the other package of tofu for something else.

Looks yummy, remember to turn them over halfway through the time. You could also cook down the marinade and use it as a mop or as a dipping sauce, etc for another dish. Looks spectacular!

Savannahsmoker said:

Could have sworn they were fish fillets! Nice work, SS! Hope they're tasty!

Last edited:
I got so busy enjoying Friday night libations, hors d'oeuvres and grilled ceder planked salmon with my Sweetie:) that I forgot about the Tofu in the marinade. Hope it will be OK tomorrow. If not O'well, it is what it is.;)

I got so busy enjoying Friday night libations, hors d'oeuvres and grilled ceder planked salmon with my Sweetie:) that I forgot about the Tofu in the marinade. Hope it will be OK tomorrow. If not O'well, it is what it is.;)

It'll be fine! I've marinated tofu for a couple of days because I got busy. :)

Decide to bake to appreciate the true flavors without smoke enhancement. What oven temp and how long should I bake?
Here's a summary of the recipes I linked above:

35-45 at 375
30 at 400
30 at 375
40-45 at 350
40 at 375

So looks like around 40 minutes at 357 degrees, and start watching it at about 30 minutes for doneness.

Back
Top Bottom