"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 05-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
Senior Cook

So you all know I am not a fan of Tofu but recently entered my life about 200 cholesterol points, 20 blood pressure points and 35 pounds ago. Now I just have to fine ways to give the most bland food I have ever had some flavor.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannahsmoker View Post
So you all know I am not a fan of Tofu but recently entered my life about 200 cholesterol points, 20 blood pressure points and 35 pounds ago. Now I just have to fine ways to give the most bland food I have ever had some flavor.
Me either, but...I press overnight to get most of the moisture out, slice 1/2 inch thick and then marinade in a soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, ginger, garlic blend and slow bake. Quite tasty! It sucks up other flavors very well. You could even try BBQ sauce.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Me either, but...I press overnight to get most of the moisture out, slice 1/2 inch thick and then marinade in a soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, ginger, garlic blend and slow bake. Quite tasty! It sucks up other flavors very well. You could even try BBQ sauce.
Thanks Princess and I sure will give the marinade method a shot. Being retired military I have spent many years in the far east and Tofu is a big part of the Far East's peoples protein diet. So far I have only use Tofu in soups and stew so my question is do you serve this as a dinner after baking, sandwiches or snacks?

I also hot smoke tofu which dries it out and crisps up the outside so now I am wondering if hot smoking would work after the marinade. If so I bet that would be tasty. Going to give it a try.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #14
Senior Cook

PS, thanks y'all for putting up with my typo's.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannahsmoker
It saddens me that our lives are ruled by numbers. Savannah, you truly have a gift! I have a sneaking suspicion that tofu wouldn't be your first choice for smoking. Your recipe does sound really good!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I feel bad for all those who are predisposed against tofu. Some people don't like the idea of it, "I never had tofu served at home when I was a kid, so it's some kind of weird food." (My mom never cooked it AFAIK.) Or maybe some people had badly prepared tofu or tofu in an uninspired recipe. Some may think that tofu is good for you and we all know that anything that is good for you is yucky.

Or maybe some may have even had tofu and thought "this is yucky, it has no taste at all!" This group of people have accurately and exactly captured the true nature of tofu! It has almost no taste! (But that's not a bad thing.) Okay, maybe a little bit of a nutty taste...

I like to think of tofu as the vegetarian version of chicken. Chicken too has little innate taste, particularly skinless-boneless chicken breast. Chicken is popular because of its malleable mild taste that can take on practically any taste you want to infuse into it. Tofu is even more like that, you have to use tofu in a recipe that adds taste to it.

I particularly like firm tofu, place a weight on top of it for 1-2 hours to squeeze out excess moisture, then slice it and marinate it for a few hours or overnight, then bake it and serve as appetizer. My marinade varies but it's all the usual Asian ingredients: soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, rice wine, garlic, chili paste, etc. There's a million recipes for this on the Internet.

I just recalled how I started liking baked tofu appetizers. If you have Whole Foods Market near you, visit their deli section and you'll probably find 3-4 choices of baked tofu. I bought a small amount and enjoyed it home, and was inspired to make my own. (WFM prices are really high. Good thing we can all cook the same stuff they sell when we get off our collective butts.)

So try tofu. It's the new chicken. It's healthier, it's cheaper, and you can combine it with other ingredients including meat and poultry (particularly in stir frys).
Old 05-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I used to say that I didn't like tofu, but that I did like bean curd.

My experience was that the people who called it tofu couldn't cook it worth beans and the people who called it bean curd knew multiple ways to cook it so it tasted good.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Maybe it's just me but the idea of "bean curd" (really curdy!) sounds very unappealing to me.

Maybe I never learned that tofu is yucky. Curd sounds curdy.

I like tofu. Tofu isn't anything like you think of when you think of beans, or at least not for me. I would have never known this product came from beans if I hadn't researched it.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannahsmoker View Post
Thanks Princess and I sure will give the marinade method a shot. Being retired military I have spent many years in the far east and Tofu is a big part of the Far East's peoples protein diet. So far I have only use Tofu in soups and stew so my question is do you serve this as a dinner after baking, sandwiches or snacks?

I also hot smoke tofu which dries it out and crisps up the outside so now I am wondering if hot smoking would work after the marinade. If so I bet that would be tasty. Going to give it a try.
I like to munch on it as a snack in the afternoon. It's added into my snack food rotation and I enjoy it.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:00 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Maybe it's just me but the idea of "bean curd" (really curdy!) sounds very unappealing to me.

Maybe I never learned that tofu is yucky. Curd sounds curdy.

I like tofu. Tofu isn't anything like you think of when you think of beans, or at least not for me. I would have never known this product came from beans if I hadn't researched it.
I had it for the first time in 1974 in a very good Chinese restaurant. It was a restaurant we went to after Tai Chi and Master Lee always ordered for everyone after asking, "Meat, no meat?" so there would be enough vegetarian dishes and enough meat dishes. I was a vegetarian at the time so dishes with bean curd, sometimes called bean cake, were often what I ate. Later, I found out that bean curd was also called tofu, but it was served by white folks who just didn't really know what to do with it. They just knew that it could be a meat substitute.

I suppose if we called cheese milk curd, it would sound less appealing too.