Smokin' A Fattie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aargh! I meant Grey Goose, so sorry! It's been a long day ok..lol! We all have our moments, besides us ordinary folk drink Vodka that won't break the bank..lol!

Well, the print on the frosted bottle is blue. You weren't far off.

Clever Andy.

Lol! Blue, grey it's all good. I've had Grey Goose a few times but drink Stollies myself. Don't ask me to spell the russian name for you for the love of Mary. Now that sounds good Bloody mary! If we carry on like this it might start sounding like a drinking forum..lol!

I don't know your equipment Andy buy I don't close my top vent. Smoke needs to keep moving or it can cause weird flavors (bitter).

I usually don't have too bad of temp issues until later in the smoke. Seems about 8 hours in is where I loose focus for a minute and things creep, it might also be because of large scale fuel change. I have been know to do a heat dump and just open the thing up to let the heat out.

Andy, scratch that ash can marking suggestion I made earlier. That was for the One Touch Gold kettle. I think you have the One Touch Silver kettle where you can actually see the bottom vent opening.
I suppose you're banking your coals up against one side of the kettle in a tight mound (better) rather than spreading them in a shallow pile on one side of the kettle? That could make a difference, I think.

Last edited:
Andy, scratch that ash can marking suggestion I made earlier. That was for the One Touch Gold kettle. I think you have the One Touch Silver kettle where you can actually see the bottom vent opening.
I suppose you're banking your coals up against one side of the kettle in a tight mound (better) rather than spreading them in a shallow pile on one side of the kettle? That could make a difference, I think.

I have the silver with three vent slots controlled at once. I tried to bank the coals up against one wall but don't have a coal dam to hold them in place.

I have the silver with three vent slots controlled at once. I tried to bank the coals up against one wall but don't have a coal dam to hold them in place.
Although they're not really necessary you can use a couple of common red bricks to hold them back. Common bricks are fired at high temps so they're safe to use, no need to get real firebricks.

Andy....

Fattie looks good....All ya needed was some biscuits, and grits..maybe some cane syrup;)

If you don't own a dual probe remote thermometer consider investing in one...It will prove invaluable when cooking Birds, Briskets, and Butts...Monitor internal meat temperature, as well as temperature at grate level for fire control.....

At this point in your journey, I would start my fires with a known quantity of charcoal...Say 15 briquettes. or whatever. Get the cooker stabilized at cooking temperatures..Bottom vents at 1/4...Cover on, exhaust/lid vents fully open and opposite the charcoal.... Then add the meat, and a wood chunk through the hinged gate. Monitor temperature and add charcoal and/or adjust air intake vents as needed to maintain...,

Personally I would use wood chunks for long cooking items, and chips for fast (grilling) items...A hand full when grilling rib-eyes/chicken breast/p-chops etc is all you need...

Make very detailed notes (temperatures, rub recipes etc, etc) of what you did..and how the cooker responded to what you did each time you cook...Critique yourself. The more you write down the more valuable your notes will be moving forward. HTH

Have Fun!

Try put'n foil over one or two of the bottom vents, like a drip pan(somewhat). Sounds like your get'n plenty of air, maybe too much? Just an idea.

Great look'n fattie.

Back
Top Bottom