"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats
Old 10-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Smoking a couple large porterhouse steaks

I'm going to be smoking two 22oz porter house steaks tomorow night and when smoking the wood I use is usually hickery or cherry. I was wondering if anyone has ever used a type of wood that resulted in a flavor that just stood above the rest?

A Recipe Resource The easiest way to store, share and find recipes online.
DanniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer
I have never smoked anything myself so what I am able to say is just what I have heard so please take it with a grain of salt.

I have heard that if you are just smoking something for a few hours then you will not be able to tell the difference between types of wood. To actually taste the differences you need to smoke the meat for at least 6 hours.

Someone with more experience will come along and give you better advice real soon though I am sure.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
Senior Cook
we have used apple, and pear, but our favorite is hickory.

if you want to try something different apple is very good too
is your glass half full or empty? my is half full
rickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Hickory or Cherry. Personally, I couldn't wait that long for a great porter house, so they always just get grilled.
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:28 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
I don't think it will take long to smoke those steaks. I would use an assertive wood like hickory.
Why not just build your fire with the wood and grill it over that. Would be better than "smoked" in my opinion.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:15 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'm in the same school as Gretchen on this one.

EDITED to say - my fav is Hickory chunks- by far!!! Those wood chips just don't give off much flavor.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #7
Head Chef
I'm in agreement with most of the posters: grill these great sounding porterhouses; use wood chips for some smoky flavor, perhaps hickory or mesquite.
bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:08 PM   #8
Head Chef
I have never smoked anything before and unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for you.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:06 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
Barbecue(slow, low temp cooking) and Smoking are best suited to tougher cuts of meat. The idea is to maintain a internal meat temp of 200f for a long period of time to break down the collagen in the meat. Something like a well marbled Porterhouse is better suited to grilling at a high temp to the desired doneness. If cooked "low and slow" the meat will be too "soggy" in texture.
romanticf16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:15 PM   #10
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
I'm with everyone else. Typically smoking means a low and slow cooking method with temps that rarely break 275 degrees. A good poterhouse should be cooked over a higher heat and quickly to lock in the flavor and keep it nice and juicey. Smoked meats normally contain a higher dergree of fat and connective tissue that doesn't breakdown till temps above 175 degrees. If you do that to your porterhouse you might as well leave it on for a few more hours and have jerky. Using woodchips during though cooking process would work and impart that smokey flavor you are looking for.

Merry Christmas,

JDP is offline   Reply With Quote