Smoking Fresh Pork Belly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's done, is done. Cube it, brown it, use it in a base for a nice carbonara, use it to enrich any soups, stocks, or sauces, I mean it's pork belly, 5 layers of heaven. Use it in the evenings vegetables for some more manly meatiness. There aren't many savory applications where it couldn't enhance the profile a bit. . .from scalloped potatoes to peas and carrots.

We ended up taking it to an internal temp of 174. So it was cooked. Still very fatty and good for frying and other uses. I guess I could freeze a few slices for later frying?

Are you happy with the final product? Did you learn anything? What would you do different?

The final product was great. I sliced some right away and it was delicious. Then fried some on the flat top to get it crispy which was good but it lost a lot of smoke flavor. Although, guilt kicked in and I only ate a few slices. Today I sliced some cold on the slicer and marinated it in Korean Gochujang sauce, then grilled it and it was very good.

I would do it again for sure. I may cut it into smaller pieces and do it that way and I would add a stronger rub and more salt because it needs something if you are just cooking it and eating it plain. I am glad I cooked it to 175 because now I don't have to worry about anything. There is plenty of fat and moisture left in it to use it anyway you would like. I did two three lb pieces so I am going to portion it out and freeze some of it. Here is a shot of it cold the next day.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom