"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 01-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Smoking in Freezing Temperatures?

Anyone use their smoker in temperatures below or at freezing? I have a few times, but was wondering if anyone had any hints that they have learned over time?

-Brad

Old 01-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Well we certainly don't have the extreme cold here as you do in WI...
But I have smoked in very cold temps...Just use your smoker's temp guage and keep it at the omptimum temp for what you are trying to do. This will mean maybe more charcoal/wood/etc to maintain the inside temp as the outside temp and wind can have a dramtic effect. Hope this helps!

Old 01-02-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I am curious what you might think about adding another heat source just to keep the temp a little higher.. Like maybe adding an electric heat plate and a plate of sand just to add a little more constant heat..

THoughts?

-Brad
Old 01-02-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

What is your current heat souce???

Adding another souce sounds risky to your personal safety...Especially if it is electrical!!! I personally would not "go there"
Old 01-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
Senior Cook

It depends on the cooker to what you would do. Keeping the cooker out of the winds helps no matter the cooker.

If it is a offset a packing or welding blanket over the horizonal helps a lot.

Vertical cookers like a WSM a water heater insulation works well. I cook on a WSM in freezing weather often without much trouble, again wind is real problem.

Insulated cookers like FEC pellet cookers, Stomps, Backwood or Spicewine smokers would be fine in freezing weather.

Jim
Old 01-02-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
So long as the coals/woods/whatever is going at a good rate, just keep your eye on the temp. The outside temp should have very little to do with the internal temp once things are going. Just moderate the temp accordingly. As for a secondary heat source, I wouldn't. If you have to throw a little more fuel on, no biggie.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:53 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I have a Charcoal Smoker with an offset firebox.. Nothing too fancy, but works great for what I need..

Great idea on the Welding Blanket.. I might look into that..

-Brad
Old 01-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

It doesn't get extremely cold here so this may not apply to your situation. I smoke a lot of sausage in the winter and hang it in the garage overnight after stuffing so it can dry but freezing would be detrimental to what I make. Since I'm not hot smoking, I build the fire in the smoker and get it going before moving the sausage. If the weather is quite cold, I simply add more wood and regulate accordingly. The welder blanket is a good idea - or build a smokehouse if you have the room/need.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #9
Head Chef

I used an aluminum backed fiberglass duct wrap on my ecb (el cheapo brinkmann) and it works well in cold weather. Still have to keep it out of a direct breeze though.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:04 PM   #10
Senior Cook

At some point I will build my own smoke house, but for the winter I will continue to use my CharGriller.

Most people in this area give up grilling and smoking this time of the year. NOT ME!?!

-Brad