"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats
Old 06-23-2006, 11:03 AM   #11
Sous Chef
I have an offset smoker(Charbroil Brand) and use it pretty regularly.
For ribs I use the 3-2-1 method, for Butts and Briskets I foil after 3-4 hours in the smoke and leave it in the foil until finished. I am a big believer in apple juice in my foil. I add apple pieces and apple juice in with the meat when I foil. I use oak wood and hickory chucks for smoking.

"Of all the things I have lost in my life,I miss my mind the most".
Paymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:01 PM   #12
Head Chef
The combination method nearly everybody's describing makes perfect sense to me for something like a pork butt and if you substitute the word braising for Goodweed's word choice, steaming, it doesn't sound so funny.

Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:42 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
HH always puts a pan of liquid with stuff in it right down in the smoker somewhere - maybe this is why he doesn't use foil.

The liquid and the stuff change with every smoking session - water, beer, wine, soy sauce, etc.; apples, seasonings, onions - you name it.

Haven't been disappointed yet.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:42 AM   #14
Senior Cook
depends on the cut of meat

pork butt dry rub smoke at least 6 hrs depending on how big the butt is no foil.

pork roast dry rub, wrap in bacon set on foil 4-6 hrs depending on the

baby back ribs dry rub brown sugur is a must in the rub. smoke 1 hr
then baste with a mixture of reduced apple juice and melted butter in the oven covered with foil for 30mins 275, then a bit more of brown sugur and
bar-b-que sauce and on a low heat grill to get sticky and yummy. sound time consuming but they are to die for.

brisket dry rub smoke of 10 hrs then wrap in foil in 210 oven for 3 more hrs

whole chicken dry rub onion or apple in cavity smoke 6 hrs no foil same with turkey breast. another good recipe it to injected cajun marinades

as allways let the meat rest before slicing

fish salmon a bit of seafood rub 5 hrs no foil

love to smoke
is your glass half full or empty? my is half full
rickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
Foiled rubbed meat and pre cooked before smoking

Tough meats: I rub the meat, foil and pre cook (bake) at 300 F for about 20 minutes per pound but never less than 1 hour and seldom longer than 2 1/2 hours. I then refrigerate over night. ... I have heard cold meat takes smoke better. Re-rub before smoking. Smoke @ 175 to 200 F for 15 minutes per pound. Mop twice the last hour but don't touch the last 30 minutes.

While I am as dense at the wood I use, I would still love to get comments back about how I can get tender meat, minimize the time and still taste good.
DGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:55 PM   #16
Senior Cook
Depends on the meat for me. Ribs and Boston Butts? Absolutely NOT.

But my brisket? I go unfoiled for the first few hours, but put it in foil once I start mopping it because I like to pour a good bit of the mop into the foil and wrap it all up so that the brisket can get even more of the flavor in.
Poppinfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:29 AM   #17
Assistant Cook
I smoke often and have never used foil. I believe that the smoky flavor can't really penetrate that well if it's wrapped, correct?
exactly150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:47 AM   #18
Assistant Cook
Wrapping pork butts in foil just robs you of any of the nice crusty brown parts--some of the best part.
Pork loin is too lean for making BBQ and probably the foil would help steam it and make it tender.
Wrapping in plastic wrap? Why?
Foil is often used for finishing briskets because they need the steaming/moisture to make them less dry.
Doing half time on a smoker and half time/finishing in the oven is a pretty good method--less tending the fire, you don't want a whole 8 hours of smoke (at least I don't), and the temperature can be controlled. The most important part of cooking pork BBQ--low temp, long time.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:33 AM   #19
Assistant Cook
Me too...depends on the cut of meat

With ribs, poultry, and pork loin - no. A couple of qualifiers, though. With ribs, I will sometimes lay them on foil to keep them from losing juice. And with poultry, I'll normally use some water (make a foil "cup") so that the skin doesn't end up tough and dry. With these, I haven't found the need to wrap.

With brisket, pork shoulder, and chuck - yes. I'll smoke at 225-250 uncovered until 175 internal, then cover until 195-200 and let it rest covered for at least an hour. That way, you still get a great smoky taste without drying the meat.

Just a personal preference.
sirsmokesalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:55 AM   #20
Senior Cook
I never use foil on the meat. I take my pork butts to 190F, wrap tightly and foil, and let it rest on a towl in an ice chest for an hour. They are the most tender pork I've ever eaten.

eatsOats is offline   Reply With Quote