"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 05-16-2006, 12:39 AM   #1
Head Chef

Smoking Meat...How many use foil?

Hi, When my brother found out I was smoking meats, he reminded me to make sure to wrap the meat in foil for a couple of hours during the cooking process. When I search on the net, half the links mention foil, the other half don't.

Just wondering, how many of you out there wrap your meat in foil? Any kind of meat...

Old 05-16-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I use foil when I smoke a pork butt. I cheat, and cook the pork half the time, about 4 - 5 hours, in the smoker uncovered. Then, I wrap the pork in plastic wrap, then in foil, and finish it for another 4 hours in a 250 degree F oven.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:36 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
I use foil when I smoke a pork butt. I cheat, and cook the pork half the time, about 4 - 5 hours, in the smoker uncovered. Then, I wrap the pork in plastic wrap, then in foil, and finish it for another 4 hours in a 250 degree F oven.
Gasp! Heritic. You are steaming that smoke butt. That is not barbecue. What are you thinking! I'm going to find Rainee (who hasn't posted in a while now), and send her over with a very long pair of tongs (all the better to pinch with), and a mop-sauce soaked mop (to wash behind your ears with).

There, now that that's out of my system, The dual method you describe is a great way to get melt-in-your-mouth tender meat, with a great smoky flavor. I'm personally a purest, and am trying to perfect my technique on the Webber. My turkeys are perfect. My pork roasts are great. But my tougher beef cuts still come out a bit tough. Not as tough as my Mother used to cook, but not as nice as I'd like either. And yes, I cut thinly accross the grain.

But that's just me. I'm stubborn, and need to discover how to get things just right on the grill, albeit by my own techniques.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:15 PM   #4
Master Chef

We wrap our briskets in foil until they have about 30 minutes left and then we pull the foil back away to get the smoke into the meat.

We tried them without the foil and they were dry and tough. With the foil, it kept the juices boiling around it and kept it from drying out and kept it moist and falling apart.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Don't think HH has ever used foil on our hunks o'meat
Old 05-16-2006, 05:59 PM   #6
Head Chef

Sounds as mixed as the searches I've done on this. When I first got my smoker, and did initial research on the web, I never heard of the foil method. Then my bro mentioned it and I searched again. Again, half and half. So far I have not used foil and don't think it's turned out that bad.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
Master Chef

Kim always wraps his pork loins in foil for the last couple of hours. It does steam them, but there are certain cuts of meat that need that. It sure makes them more tender. The other things he smokes (pork butts, turkey, etc) are covered with foil after he brings them in, and allowed to stand for an hour or so.

We have never tried a brisket, but that is on our list of things things to do, and we will follow your method, Texasgirl. If you don't mind to share your recipe, perhaps you could post it in a new thread. Please?
Old 05-16-2006, 10:19 PM   #8
Master Chef

Perfect BBQ is a lifelong quest for perfection ... and it takes more than once to learn how your smoker/grill works.

Using a Brinkmann like you have HCT I use the plastic wrap and foil method, too. First I smoke the meat (an hour or so for ribs, 2-3 for briskett depending on how thick it is) then wrap in plastic wrap and foil. It is now flavored and should have developed a smoke ring. It can then go back on the grill or into a slow oven (about 250-F) - doesn't make any difference since the meat has already been flavored and you are now just finishing the cooking.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:01 AM   #9
Cook

DH always wraps his smoked meat in foil for an hour or so depending on the cut...but like it's been said, it is such an individual preference and I think you could go to a BBQ competition and start a riot with the differing opinions! My thought is this, if you like the way it turns out wrapped, unwrapped...then it's all good!
Old 05-25-2006, 04:23 PM   #10
Cook

Hi

As for the wrapped vs non wrapped. I would say that for me and after watching many competitions on tv, I have adopted halh/half.

I start with the smoke indirect heat and finish with wrap.

For a brisket however I do not wrap cause I like mopping my beast every 30 minutes.

I then steam it at the end in a gas barbeque with boiling hot water. No the beef is not in the water

Regards,

Steve

Bye!