"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 05-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
The water pan is not simply a heat sink. No, the water in the water pan is to provide a steam-like environment to maintain moisture. In other words, it helps keep your meat and/or veggies from drying out when grilling and not necessarily barbequing.

but....How on earth did people BBQ/grill excellent meats in ....say 1850 or 1950 (and they did) for that matter before the Brinkmann Company came out with the ECB "Tin Can Water Smokers" in the early 70's? ~~ With no means to control the fire (air intake), they had to put a buffer/heat sink/water pan between the fire and the meat to prevent the meat from tuning into the charred remains of some dead animal...So the Company "spin" was as you stated above..."your meat and veggies want dry out" Yada Yada, Yada ~~~~ Neither did meats cooked/BBQed (sans water pan) for many hundreds/thousands of years prior to the contraption coming on the market. ~~~ Mankind has successfully cooked meats with fire for close to a Million yeas....Yet there are modern manufacturers who have duped millions of people into believing their bull ~~ The only place water has around a BBQ pit is when it's time to wash your hands, and clean up..

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post

...~~ The only place water has around a BBQ pit is when it's time to wash your hands, and clean up..

Enjoy!
And here I thought you were going to say frozen into cubes and placed in your bourbon glass.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
And here I thought you were going to say frozen into cubes and placed in your bourbon glass.
That too Fred!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #34
Master Chef

I also use sand in my water pan, then cover with foil to catch drippings. This is on my modified Brinkman smoker which I converted from electric to charcoal.
I've also used hot water in the past and what I've noticed with using water is that the moist environment helps keep the temps a bit more low & steady. Dumping the water with all that grease drippings floating on top can get a little messy during clean up though...

BTW, those cheap Brinkamn bullet type smokers you often see at Home Depot are commonly referred to as ECB (el cheapo Brinkman)
Old 05-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #35
Senior Cook

I would love to see someone dry out a boston butt. If you can do that then you should stick to take out......or just concentrate on breathing.

Edit: Bob, you don't need water to wash your hands......that is what jeans were made for.....wranglers to be exact. ;-)
Old 05-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #36
Master Chef

As far as keeping a moist environment in the cooker is concerned I think bakers benefit from this when baking batches of bread.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Listen you lot I'm a Brit trying to learn, now I am slightly confused so I will have to rationalise the post.
The only burning question I have is for Big Al, will Levi's work as well as Wranglers, I have loads of 501's and no wranglers, the wrangler rise is a bit short for me
Old 05-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Great. Let us know how you like it. I like to rub my ribs ahead of time so they can sit with the rub for a day.
The ribs with the rub recipe you posted came out great with a touch of heat. Those were gone in no time. I did not sauce them. :D
The other rack was just S&P and garlic for my wife. I usually sauce those.

I did not use the Weber kettle for this cook, but instead used my brick oven as I wanted to conduct a low and slow smoking test using a wooden smoker door I made for the oven and a charcoal basket (see pic) which I fabricated for the Weber but wanted to see how it performed in the oven as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050805.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	10835  
Old 05-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
The ribs with the rub recipe you posted came out great with a touch of heat. Those were gone in no time. I did not sauce them. :D
The other rack was just S&P and garlic for my wife. I usually sauce those.

I did not use the Weber kettle for this cook, but instead used my brick oven as I wanted to conduct a low and slow smoking test using a wooden smoker door I made for the oven and a charcoal basket which I fabricated for the Weber but wanted to see how it performed in the oven as well.

I'm glad you liked it.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Listen you lot I'm a Brit trying to learn, now I am slightly confused so I will have to rationalise the post.
The only burning question I have is for Big Al, will Levi's work as well as Wranglers, I have loads of 501's and no wranglers, the wrangler rise is a bit short for me
That will work, for now. Just don't wear capri pants.

throw the meat on the grill indirect at 2-300* F and you'll be fine. He!! if it was hard idiots like me couldn't do it.

Tags
weber smoking