"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 05-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Smoking Meats on a Weber Kettle

The link below will take you to a pot is a thread from 2004. It's a detailed post and diagram for smoking meat on a Weber.

With the summer close at hand, I thought it worthwhile to bring this to the forefront.

Raine, the woman who posted this hasn't been around for a while but was an expert on the topic.

Smoking Pork Spare Ribs question...

Old 05-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Thank you very much for bringing Ranie's post back to life and to our attention.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Master Chef

It's also important to note not to light the entire load of charcoal at once. Not only will it be somewhat difficult to bring the kettle down to smoking temperature, but will deplete the load of charcoal quickly.....you may not get 4 or 5 hours of cooking time.
Use the Minion Method and place just a few fully lit coals on top of the larger pile of unlit coals. This will give you a quite long, slow burn time with low enough smoking temps in the 250F range.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
It's also important to note not to light the entire load of charcoal at once. Not only will it be somewhat difficult to bring the kettle down to smoking temperature, but will deplete the load of charcoal quickly.....you may not get 4 or 5 hours of cooking time.
Use the Minion Method and place just a few fully lit coals on top of the larger pile of unlit coals. This will give you a quite long, slow burn time with low enough smoking temps in the 250F range.

Good info, thanks for sharing.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Wow! Fantastic idea, thanks for bringing it up! Have a classic Weber, can't wait to try this!
Old 05-12-2011, 03:00 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Thanks M, the diag is a great help, the two things that makes me feel stupid for not using are the drip pan and the water tray
I have said it before, I first came to this board to learn BBQ/Smoking but they are so obvious its embarrassing .
I bought a 4.5lbs joint of boneless pork butt yesterday, it is quality british pork with the rind on, I thought it was very cheap at about $2.25 a lbs.
I want to slow roast it on the BBQ, so I want some tips please on, rubs, brines ect.
Ps do I take the rind/skin off?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

BDF, I use the following to 'rub my butt' 24-48 hours before cooking.

For the Dry Rub

6 Tb Dark Brown Sugar
5 Tb Paprika
4 Tb Salt
3 Tb Black Pepper
3 Tb Cayenne
2 Tb Cumin
2 Tb Garlic powder
1 Tb Dry Oregano
1 Tb Dry Thyme
1 Tb Onion Powder

I would remove the rind and leave the fat. Rub the mixture into the flesh, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24-48 hours.

Remove from the fridge and allow the but to come to room temperature. If it's boneless, you may want to tie it up to maintain a tight shape.

No brining necessary.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

That's pretty much my rub, but I substitute chile powder for paprika and don't add anything green (no herbs). I also replace the brown sugar with turbinado. I love that stuff and it doesn't clump up. I can mix up a batch of rub and keep it in a large shaker container, like what Kraft Parm cheese comes in, and don't need to worry about the brown sugar turning hard. I go a little lighter on the cumin because that's my taste.

And I have both rubbed just the butt, or slathered it with yellow mustard and sprinkled my rub on that way. I really didn't notice any difference, so skip the mustard step now because it's messy.

A lot of folks sprinkle some more rub onto the pork after it's pulled.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

I have also used a mopping liquid on the butt when cooking it in the oven but that would be counter-productive when smoking in a charcoal grill/smoker.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have also used a mopping liquid on the butt when cooking it in the oven.

I usually do that in the shower.

Thanks for posting this!!

Tags
weber smoking