"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 02-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Super Bowl ribs

We are planning on having wings and ribs this weekend for the super bowl. My question is....what is the best way to cook a large quantity of ribs? Meaning 5-10 racks. It is too much to fit on my friends webber grill. He does have a multi-level smoker that we thought of using.
Should we start in the oven to get them going nice and slow and then transmit to the smoker or grill? Can you stand them on end to make more fit in the smoker?
Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Tim

Old 02-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
Sous Chef

i always par-boil mine in beef broth for about an hour and then finish on the grill.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Redetolearn..

Check out the threads My First Smoking Experience and also My Second Smoking Experience There are some great ideas/tips there.

My opinion would be that many ribs on a large Weber would be to crowded!
2 or 3 slabs might work....Ribs do not need to be crowded..Air/heat/smoke need to be able to move freely.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

{{{{{{{{{Kitchenelf}}}}}}}}}

Thanks!!!

Happy Now Am I....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:16 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Rib racks will let you do 8 racks at once or you can roll the ribs (ribs touch end to end of the rack) stand as many rolled as you can and lay ribs flat on top of the rolled racks.
Jim
Old 02-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Par boiling just sucks all the "life" (called meat juice) out of ribs. Wrap in foil and bake at 300* for 2 hours. Then cut into 3-4 rib portions, slather with sauce and crisp on the grill.
Or put in one layer on baking sheets with sauce and roast at 400* until crisp and brown and crunchy.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I have a TNT method that works well but it sounds kinda funky. Remove the membrane from the bone side of the ribs and slather both sides with yellow mustard and brown sugar. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake at 325 for about two hours. Wipe the mustard residue from the ribs and finish on the grill, if you so choose. There's something in the mustard that makes the meat fall off the bone but does not contribute a mustard flavor.

I know, it's cheating in the worst way but somtimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Mustard will glue the rub but there is not enough vinegar or time to make ribs fall off the bone, that is done by your cooking in foil at 325 for about two hours. They would fall off the bone without the mustard.

Jim
Old 02-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #9
Executive Chef

jminion, if what you say is true, I need to have a discussion with my cousin as to why I'm smearing my ribs with mustard.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:54 PM   #10
Sous Chef

I agree--have the discussion with your cousin--but jminion is correct. It's the time and temp that is doing it. ;O)