"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 04-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #41
Executive Chef

I take the chicken off of the heat once it is almost done, put it to the side and close the lid, then sauce a few times while letting it finish with the lid closed. This allows me to add a good sopping without overcooking anything. This, I find helps crisp up the skin a bit more, which we all love. It also tones down a bit of the tang of the vinegar....

Old 04-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #42
Executive Chef

The few times I have had Smoked Chicken, while tasty throughout, I wish the smoker would have moved the bird over to a grill to finish over direct higher heat and Crisp the skin. No amount of sauce can cover the chewiness.

I like to paint sauce a few times as the chicken is nearly finished. Give it a couple coats rather than one heavy coating.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:03 PM   #43
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
The few times I have had Smoked Chicken, while tasty throughout, I wish the smoker would have moved the bird over to a grill to finish over direct higher heat and Crisp the skin. No amount of sauce can cover the chewiness.

I like to paint sauce a few times as the chicken is nearly finished. Give it a couple coats rather than one heavy coating.

Do you smoke chicken low and slow as you would other meats? I've found smoking a chicken at higher temps gives you skin texture closer to normal.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:17 AM   #44
Executive Chef

I agree Andy.

I am Looking specific at my favorite BBQ take out place. Terrific flavored chicken. Smoked with cherry and hickory woods. Skin as soft as a baby's derriere I have to crisp it in the oven at about 400 until the skin crisps up. I have to remember to order their sauce separate /on the side. I hate remembering things. DxW loves their chicken and I like their ribs. I am Looking at a friend who has a big smoker and needs to finish it beyond just the all day smoking time. I Think it takes this extra step to transform good flavor to Great Tasting.

I make perfectly good chicken on my Weber all the time. Unfortunately, as you know, grilling season is short.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #45
Sous Chef

Grilling season is short? Don't tell that to Chief. He shovels a path to his car and then one to his Weber. :)
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
Grilling season is short? Don't tell that to Chief. He shovels a path to his car and then one to his Weber. :)
Sadly, this year's emormous snowfall beat me. I kept the Webber cleared until the middle of January. First year that I haven't kept it clear all winter. But don't worry. I won't let it happen again.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Crispy skin is one reason we do not use sauce while its cooking on the grill.
We serve the BBQ sauce at the table.
I bought some of those plastic squeeze bottles. Filled one with BBQ sauce and thats how it get applied.

I found another really cool way to use the plastic squirt bottles. Sour cream.
No more fussing with a spoon or flat knife trying to apply sour cream to potato's, taco's or any other food.
Just squeeze it on like you would squeeze ketchup.

You can also cut the tip for a larger opening and use it for Riccotta cheese.
So much easier to make lasagna, when you can squirt the Ricotta instead of trying to smear it on. Much neater.
Its faster and reusable unlike a piping bag.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #48
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I found another really cool way to use the plastic squirt bottles. Sour cream.
No more fussing with a spoon or flat knife trying to apply sour cream to potato's, taco's or any other food.

So much easier to make lasagna, when you can squirt the Ricotta instead of trying to smear it on. Much neater.
Great ideas!! Thanks. I've always tried to remember to ''dedicate" a spoon for the sour cream. This would be a better idea.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #49
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
...I found another really cool way to use the plastic squirt bottles. Sour cream.

I guess if you were in a situation where you would be squirting a lot of sour cream, it would be worth it. For other uses, you're trading off "fussing with" a spoon with the effort to fill the squeeze bottle.

As for ricotta, I think a plastic bag with a corner cut off would actually work better. Different strokes...
Old 04-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Great ideas!! Thanks. I've always tried to remember to ''dedicate" a spoon for the sour cream. This would be a better idea.
Make it easy on yourself. When you buy the sour cream, put it in the squeeze bottle before you need it.
It will be there ready for you, when you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I guess if you were in a situation where you would be squirting a lot of sour cream, it would be worth it. For other uses, you're trading off "fussing with" a spoon with the effort to fill the squeeze bottle.

As for ricotta, I think a plastic bag with a corner cut off would actually work better. Different strokes...
See above post.
The sour cream is also stored in the squeeze bottle. So it works fine for one taco or 10 taco's. And its always at the ready in the fridge. Like ketchup is.

As for the ricotta cheese. I used to pipe it on the lasagna as it made it much simpler than trying to smear it over the casserole.
But since it works well for stuffed shells too, we decide to just use the squirt bottle method. You do have to get it in the bottle. So there is some effort. A butter knife works very well.
It is also at the ready for any dish we need it for.

Tags
bbq, food