"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 04-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #51
Executive Chef

But since it works well for stuffed shells too, we decide to just use the squirt bottle method.

Oooo. I haven't made stuffed shells in eons. I like this idea or using a tipped off bag. I have always used a spoon to try and fill, and you know, handling cooked shells too much results in broken shells. Good Ideas. I might try that with sour cream, more evenly served on tacos.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
But since it works well for stuffed shells too, we decide to just use the squirt bottle method.

Oooo. I haven't made stuffed shells in eons. I like this idea or using a tipped off bag. I have always used a spoon to try and fill, and you know, handling cooked shells too much results in broken shells. Good Ideas. I might try that with sour cream, more evenly served on tacos.
I used to pipe these things. But it can be messy and you have two extra steps.
The key is to store these things in the plastic squirt bottles so its there and ready to be used when you need it.

Its great to be able to squirt sour cream than trying to apply it with a spoon or knife. No spoon or knife to wash either.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #53
Executive Chef

I prefer Crema for SW and Mexican. The brand I buy comes in a plastic bottle, so next time I get some, I'll see if the top to a squirt bottle will fit it.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Bones, doesn't the sour cream ever separate in the squeeze bottle?
The sour cream I like is pretty thick, but it still separates sometimes. I don't think I could shake it like a bottle of ketchup or mustard to mix it back up.

That said, I use whatever utensil I am eating dinner with to dollop out the sour cream. I don't have an extra spoon or fork to wash that way.

I do like the squeeze bottle idea if I was having guests and we were all making our own tacos. I would fill it right before needed in case I had to stir the SC.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #55
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Bones, doesn't the sour cream ever separate in the squeeze bottle?
The sour cream I like is pretty thick, but it still separates sometimes. I don't think I could shake it like a bottle of ketchup or mustard to mix it back up.

That said, I use whatever utensil I am eating dinner with to dollop out the sour cream. I don't have an extra spoon or fork to wash that way.

I do like the squeeze bottle idea if I was having guests and we were all making our own tacos. I would fill it right before needed in case I had to stir the SC.
Yes, it will separate some in the bottle just as it does in the container it comes in. In fact I was waiting for this question.
I just open the squirt bottle and pour out the liquid on top.
You only have to do this if you have not used it in a while.
But you are correct. The liquid does still come to the top, but is very easily poured off.

The only reason we tried this was because of burritos and taco's.
We got the idea from piping ricotta onto lasagna.
Now, when we need some sour cream, like for baked potato's, its just a squeeze instead of a spoon.
Not a big deal, but every step I take away from the dish, makes my life and the appearance of the dish much better.

Tags
bbq, food