The best BBQ foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I had to pick one, I most likely go with BBQ chicken. Chicken is very hard to beat IMO.

Whole cut up fryers are what I like to use the best.

Last edited:
If I had to pick one, I most likely go with BBQ chicken. Chicken is very hard to beat IMO.

Whole cut up fryers are what I like to use the best.

That and pork ribs are my choices---- 50-50. I'd find it hard to choose between them. If only one part of a chicken----- the wings (for more BBQ sauce!) or thighs if I wanted more meat.

That and pork ribs are my choices---- 50-50. I'd find it hard to choose between them. If only one part of a chicken----- the wings (for more BBQ sauce!) or thighs if I wanted more meat.

I like ribs and other meats too! But if I had to choose one, it would be the chicken.
Versatile, inexpensive and very good.

I like ribs and other meats too! But if I had to choose one, it would be the chicken.
Versatile, inexpensive and very good.
I have tried many recipes for bbq chicken but the best I have come across has been Bobby Flay's . It is my favorite....
Pretty common style of recipe but just the right combination of spice and tang IMHO.
Rub:

• 2 tablespoons non-iodized salt
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground thyme
  • 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 whole chickens, skin removed and separated into white and dark meat parts
Sauce
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon hot sauce

Last edited:
I like to eat Bar B Que but I don't cook it. Probably because 1) I don't know how and 2) DH wouldn't eat it so why bother. I get mine in a restaurant where he can order something else.

Pork ribs are my favorite, pork shoulder second, brisket third and chicken thighs.

I've never had (or even seen) BBQ brisket. Is that common where you live or just common in your family?m Any recipe for it or do you just cook by the seat of your pants?

Favorite things to BBQ;

If we're talking grilled, then this list comes up;
1. steak
2. hot dogs (not burnt, but cooked over indirect heat until lightly browned)
3. chicken pieces (my smoldering thighs recipe is my favorite)
Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Dad, would you keep your recipe for "smoldering thighs" between you and mom please? Your kids are on here! Sheesh.

This is a really tough list for me, but if I had to choose absolute favorites, they'd be
BBQ:
Whole turkey (my dad's)
Brisket (preferably with apple wood)
Pit beef (not sure what cut it's made with, but when we had it at Boog's BBQ in Baltimore it was soooo good)

Grill:
Rib Steak
Kebabs with beef, mushrooms, onions, peppers and maybe cherry tomatoes
Corn on the cob
Asparagus
Portabella Caps
The amazing chicken skewers my Filipino friend's sister makes (The marinade and sauce each have at least 10 ingredients, some overlapping, some not. The only ones I remember are peanut butter, fresh oj, and I think onion and possibly soy sauce were involved)

Honestly though, there are very few things I've tried grilled that I didn't like and if I didn't, it was usually because it was overcooked.

Dad, would you keep your recipe for "smoldering thighs" between you and mom please? Your kids are on here! Sheesh...

I have a deal with your hubby. He agreed that if you get out of line, young lady, it's ice water over the shower curtain for you!:ohmy: And you know full well that I was talking about chicken thighs marinated in my special marinade, so that the grill chicken leaves a warm glow in your mouth for several minutes after you eat it.

Seeeeeeya, wouldn't wanna be ya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've never had (or even seen) BBQ brisket. Is that common where you live or just common in your family?m Any recipe for it or do you just cook by the seat of your pants?

Cave, Brisket is one of the "Big 4" when it comes to barbecuing, along with Pork Ribs, Pork(shoulder/butt) and chicken. It takes on a whole different flavor when it is bbq'd and takes well to a smokey flavor. Plus it looks so beautiful carved when it is properly cooked.

Here is a googled picture. The pinkness shows how deep the smoke is absorbed into the meat. Very different than oven baked.

Barbecuing a Brisket is one of the great challenges I have yet to attempt.

Attachments

• smoked brisket.jpg
    smoked brisket.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 295
Cave, Brisket is one of the "Big 4" when it comes to barbecuing, along with Pork Ribs, Pork(shoulder/butt) and chicken. It takes on a whole different flavor when it is bbq'd and takes well to a smokey flavor. Plus it looks so beautiful carved when it is properly cooked.

Here is a googled picture. The pinkness shows how deep the smoke is absorbed into the meat. Very different than oven baked.

Oh my goodness! Why did I look at that picture? Marvelous!

Chief, hot dogs have to be charred black. When it's too cold to fire up the grill, DH holds them over the gas range. Heck of a mess to clean up, but very tasty!

Can a brisket be BBQ'd medium rare? Or is it too tough? I may have a different tough factor than others----- I like meat to be very tender. Or perhaps it could be sliced very thin, like I do for a BBQ tri-tip.

Chief, hot dogs have to be charred black. When it's too cold to fire up the grill, DH holds them over the gas range. Heck of a mess to clean up, but very tasty!

CarolPa------ Charred black hot dogs? Charred black anything? You and my ex-husband would have made a perfect pair! He charred everything black----- into cinders. His toast was Toast Flambe!

But it did work out o.k. sometimes. If something got burnt I would put it on his plate and then make another one just right for me. :yum: Jack Sprat theory.

Brisket is usually smoked/cooked for over 12 hours to ensure tenderness. Like a pot roast, brisket benefits from long cooking times.

Thanks----- that let's me out for BBQ brisket. But it does sound truly delicious.

You want the whole packer for smoked brisket. The flats I've seen offered have had the majority of fat removed. Bad news for a moist end product.:(

CarolPa------ Charred black hot dogs? Charred black anything? You and my ex-husband would have made a perfect pair! He charred everything black----- into cinders. His toast was Toast Flambe!

But it did work out o.k. sometimes. If something got burnt I would put it on his plate and then make another one just right for me. :yum: Jack Sprat theory.

Hot dogs are the only thing we like charred black. Oh yeah, sometimes smoked sausage, too. One time we were having a family cookout and my husband was grilling. He cooked ALL the hot dogs charred black and everyone was complaining that "Dad burned the hot dogs!" He thought because he like them that way that everyone did.

I have tried many recipes for bbq chicken but the best I have come across has been Bobby Flay's . It is my favorite....
Pretty common style of recipe but just the right combination of spice and tang IMHO.
Rub:

• 2 tablespoons non-iodized salt
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground thyme
  • 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 whole chickens, skin removed and separated into white and dark meat parts
Sauce
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon hot sauce

The rub is almost identical to my rub, minus the sage and add cayenne.
I don't put the sauce on while its on the grill, so we use a finishing BBQ sauce.
The BBQ sauce we use is a combination of NC and SC style. Has mustard and ketchup in the ingredient list. And more vinegar.

Back
Top Bottom